Tig weld copper advice needed...urgently!

My wife has come up with a need for me to tig weld some copper sheet for an art project - and the deadline is tonight, apparently. The project goes on display on the weekend.

Material is about .035" copper sheet, exact alloy unknown, and I need to basically seam weld four seams, each about 4" long. Think mansard roof. I have enough material to screw up once only, and a few test pieces.

I have Lincoln SQ 175, Argon, 3/32" Lanthanated tungsten, no filler rod to speak of.

Can I use copper ground wire from romex as filler (14 Ga)? should I trim strips from the workpiece to use as filler? What cleaning regime should I use to prep? and obviously, what Tig settings and amps should I use? AC or DC?

Thanks much in advance!

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Plain copper electrical wire is fine. I find it easier to use than rteal copper welding wire.

copper uses twice the base amps of steel, so at 0.035" copper you would be running 70 amps, but for an outside fillet drop that by 1/3 to around 47 amps.

Copper is one of the trickier metals to TIG weld.

You will find it much easier to TIG braze weld it using Sil-phos-bronze.

For filler try some 18 ga solid wire.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Oh yeah, you want DC EN polarity, and a pointed tungsten.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thank you Ernie. I have some Allstate 11 brazing rod in stock, but nothing else - might that work?

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Not with TIG, too much zinc.

You can gas braze it though.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks, that's what I will try first. Doing the job this morning.

Brian

Reply to
Brian