Hobart Cyber-Tig 2 update

As some may remember, I managed to scrounge up a big assed Hobart
welder. CyberTig II 500 DCS.
The welder is tig/stick, but needs either a jumper Plug or a foot
pedal to run. I found a wiring diagram for another Hobart tig
machine, so looking at the back side of the plug, determined that the
wires all went to the same pins as the diagram, and took a chance.
After a quick trip to Radio shack and getting a 4.7k resistor and a
25k pot, I made up a breadboard based on the pedal diagram and plugged
it in.
I flipped on the power switch, and voila! the various dials came to
life showing volts (80) and amps. Taking a wild guess at what some of
the knobs, thumbwheels and whatnot meant, I tweaked them to what
appeared to be a conservative setting. I then hooked up a heavy pair
of jumper cables to the machines stick lugs, and grounded the end to a
piece of 2x2" thick wall square tubing, clamped a 1/8" piece of 7018
to the jumper cable and donning my mask, scratched.
YEEHAWWWWW!!!!! A marvelous arc formed and with a high pitched
singing sound, I ran that rod. Beautiful weld. (not me...the machine).
I dont think Ive ever heard that kind of sound in an arc before.
Almost sounded like very high freq, but the switch is in Stick and the
HF is turned OFF.
Dinking around, I couldnt get the various settings to increase much
more, so it dawned on me, that the pot on the bread board was likely
set too low. Giving it a turn to the other stop, I again prepared to
weld. This time I used a firm tap to start.
FLASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy F*CK!!!!!!!!! Big light! Way big light. Jaaaysus!
Removing my mask, I was rather bemused to find that the welding rod
had not scratch started the arc, but simply BURNED its way though both
sides of that 2x2" thick walled square tubing and was sticking out of
both sides of the tube. There it was..a bent, smoking swizzel stick
poking through both sides of that chunk of steel.
Checking the dials and gizzmos, I reckon I had it set a the full 699
amps the machine is supposed to be capable of, given the readings on
the knobs and gauges and dials and thingabobs.
I think..Ill be a bit more conservative the next time I tweak that
pot..and a manual would be of great help as well...gulp.
Well hell..I think I got myself a welder.....
Anyone know where I might pick up a used foot pedal with an Amphenol
10 pin connector on it?
Or just a couple of Amp 10 pin connectors? This thing uses the screw
on type, not the twist lock style.
Ive got a pedal, but I dont know if its any good, and it is wired to
connect up to that Thermal Dynamics plasma torch control that came
with it (still dont know if it works) ,.m and Id rather not break up
that set.
I need to make up a proper jumper plug for stick welding and Ill need
to start scrounging Stuff to activate the TIG side of the welder. I
already have a chiller, though dont know if it works yet.
Good used tig stuff Id like also. I can come up with a bit of cash,
though not much, but could easily trade for machine tools or tooling.
Ill need a torch, hoses etc etc. Cosmetics are not important, just as
long as they are usable with this beasty.
Anyone got the original jumper plug? Appears to be standard Hobart
wiring.
Gunner
"The Democratic Party is the party of this popular corruption.
The heart of the Democratic Party and its activist core is
made up of government unions, government dependent professions
(teachers, social workers, civil servants); special interest and
special benefits groups (abortion rights, is a good example) that
feed off the government trough; and ethnic constituencies,
African Americans being the most prominent, who are
disproportionately invested in government jobs and
in programs that government provides.
" The Democratic Party credo is 'Take as much of the people's money as
politically feasible, and use that money to buy as many of the people's votes as
possible'.
Tax cuts are a threat to this Democratic agenda.
Consequently, Democrats loathe and despise them."
-Semi-reformed Leftist David Horowitz
Reply to
Gunner
Ahhh -- there's nothing quite like resurrecting an old machine and seeing it come to life for the first time!
What are you feeding yon beastie? If you can get 669 amps out, it surely must be a hungry beast at full power!
politically feasible, and use that money to buy as many of the people's votes as possible'. > Tax cuts are a threat to this Democratic agenda. > Consequently, Democrats loathe and despise them." > -Semi-reformed Leftist David Horowitz
Reply to
Andy
Its input rated at 220 volts 109 amps, 440, 59 amps 3 phase, according to the data plate.
Oddly enough, I was only using 10ga power wire during the initial testing. Id rather think that if Id actually used the proper rod at that setting, it would have melted the wiring. The power cable that it was hooked up with before I started fixing it back up, is 4 ga. IRRC. Its about 1.5" in diameter.
My buddy has an oilfield machine shop and I was connected into a 100 amp breaker.
Gunner
politically feasible, and use that money to buy as many of the people's votes as possible'.
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker
Reply to
Gunner