How do you clean steel?

I've got some steel (unfortunately not stainless) rulers, and they are getting a bit unreadable now because of al the dirt and some rust that has grown on them. Obviously I need to clean them, and I was wondering how all of you folk out there manage to clean your things made of steel.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Hello Jane, long time no speak ... I use this stuff ...

I also have some polishes of various grade that I use for sharpening to put a gloss on if I need to.

Or depending on exactly what I have to do with what I also use this stuff ... for instance for your ruler

Then lightly coat with camellia oil or alternatively if it's something going in the shed, such as garden tools over winter ...

(mixed reviews but it works for me)

... No I'm not on commission from Axminster but I buy most of my stuff from them mail order and they are very relaible.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

A few drops of 3-in-1 oil and rub vigorously with an old cloth.

Reply to
gareth

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

:-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Rhubarb juice (or Coca-Cola).

Both work, but the rhubarb is generally available at no cost.

Reply to
Brian Watson

In message , Brian Watson writes

And with the leftovers you get a decent pudding afterwards.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Hmm, trying to think of what custard might clean...

Reply to
Brian Watson

Seems to be some cross talk from uk.d-i-y

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Big angle grinder and a bigger hammer!

Reply to
Chris Wilson

The number of times someone says it the angle grinder must be worn out by now.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Surely we can bring in car body filler, too.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Duct Tape!!!

No Home Should Be Without It.

Reply to
Wolf K

I often hear people clearly call it "duck tape."

Whether they think it is a brand name, or a tape specifically designed to hold ducks in place is something I've never bothered to ask.

Reply to
Brian Watson

The original brand of duct tape was DUCK tape, still going strong as Duck Brand Tape, (0) made by a company called ShurTech. (1)

Information from Duct Tape vs Duck Tape. (2)

(0)

(1)
(2)

Darryl

Duck Tape is a brand name, more common in the US than here, which has become a generic term for the stuff in much the same way that Cellotape has in the UK for a different kind of sticky tape. "Duct tape" is a variant name that doesn't use the trademark.

You can buy Duck Tape in most DIY barns:

The name "duck tape" comes from duck cloth, aka cotton duck, a form of heavy cotton fabric, although the modern product called Duck Tape (or duct tape) bears little resemblence to it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

It's not much good for sealing joints in heating ducts either. It dries out and leaves a sticky residue that's hard to remove. Alumin(i)um adhesive tape does a better job.

Reply to
MartinS

We call it "Gaffer Tape". Gets round the Duck/Duct problem...

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I shan't furrow my brow next time I hear it then.

Thanks for that.

Reply to
Brian Watson

It's not actually quite the same thing. Gaffer tape is designed for short-term use, and to be easily removable when you've finished. That's where the name comes from - from it's use by electricians and technicians, otherwise known as "gaffers", in the film and TV industry. Use a bit of tape to hold a cable in place, then take it off when your're done.

Duck tape, on the other hand, is designed to stay in place for longer - it's a semi-permanent method of fixing something rather than a short-term adhesive - and doesn't come off cleanly when it is removed.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge