Does anybody know the true origin of the Hornby Class 37 No. D6843

-- I have owned this fairly plain all BR., green, grey roof (not blue Grey but, say; shark grey) complete with BRc (Ferret and Dart Board) Logo bearing a small (as in real life it did have) yellow front and rear warning panels. It does not appear to have been repainted and or renumbered, but then I have renumbered a traction engine and I would defy anybody to tell me that it was obvious (same number as original).

"Why on earth do you want to know that?", I hear you say. Well; it just doesn't occur on the Hornby Collectors web site and it certainly is not published in Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue. Is it a GHOST or maybe it is part of a train from which the wagons and or carriages and other accoutrements have now parted along with it's identity!

I know of the original that she was built in: Crewe. For BR. Tops 37143 Owned by DB SChenker worked as an ex-pat.; Catalonia, Spain, Continental Railways by Axiom Rail, Class 37/7 no. L025 then L33. (hired out by DBS) Relocated to; Dollands Moor (timing uncertain). Last known allocation; Toton. I think she may now be scrapped but I can't be definitive about that.

Cheers, Totnado.

Reply to
Totnado

I'm sorry but I can't help you with your enquiry.

Please don't use a sig separator (dash dash space return) at the beginning of your message as many newsreaders interpret the whole message as a sig and strip it in a reply (as here).

It should only be used just before your sig (see below).

Reply to
MartinS

It didn't on my reader (Turnpike) which is usually quite compliant with standards (unlike, for example, Outlook). I'm no expert, but the sig separator looks to me more like a pair of em-dashes, whereas the things you get from the key above the p on a standard UK keyboard looks more like an en-dash (shorter). Alternatively, the sig line is locked in fixed-pitch mode, which produces longer dashes.

Here's an attempt to produce a sig separator using the keyboard:

Reply to
David Littlewood

In article , David Littlewood writes

It didn't!

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

It worked with Xnews! The rest of the post was stripped.

Reply to
MartinS

No, it is a valid sig separator. But where a message contains multiple separators, Turnpike (and, for that matter, Agent, which is what I use) considers the final one to be definitive. That's probably the most sensible way of resolving that particular ambiguity (since it allows for anyone accidentally including one in their text - possibly when copying and pasting, for example), but it's not universal. Thunderbird, for example, acts on the first separator it comes to.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

So does Xnews.

Reply to
MartinS

OK Mark, that makes sense, thanks.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

slrn seems to only recognise one sufficiently close to the end of the message.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Although it isn't stipulated anywhere in the RFCs themselves, I think that Turnpike, Agent and slrn are closer to the spirit of them than Thunderbird and Xnews. RFC 1849 says that if a signature is appended to an article, it "should" be preceded by the standard separator (dash-dash-space-CR), and that signatures "should" be short. It nowhere says that the sequence of characters used as a separator should not appear anywhere else in an article.

The implication, therefore, is that the character sequence should only be treated as a separator if a) it is followed solely by a block of text short enough to be considered a signature, and b) it is the only, or last, such sequence of characters in an article.

That implication is explicitly asserted in the draft Usenet Best Practice usefor-01 text, which says that:

"The signature is considered to extend from the last occurrence of that delimiter up to the end of the article".

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

Reply to