Does anybody sell pre-made dovetail stock?

I am building a small project using only stock parts requiring no additional machining. I want to buy a small piece of brass dovetail stock and its mating slide. Does anyone out there know where I can buy some of this? I do not have access to any milling machine or the like, but I do have access to a cut-off saw. I have done a google search, but only can find things like square stock and hex stock. Thanks in advance for any help.

"Everything you hear from the mass-media is completely true, except for that rare story of which you happen to have personal knowledge"

Reply to
funster

I can't say nobody sells it, but I can say I've never seen it for sale. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Like Grant, I have never seen it for sale in the form you describe. You might have better luck going 'higher' in your assembly tree if the assembly resembles something available commercially. For example (maybe not relevant in your case), you can buy leadscrew-drive machine tables/slides in an incredible variety of sizes and precision.

If you can share a little more specifics of what you have in mind, you will probably be deluged with suggestions here!

Reply to
Fred R

You can get bronze plated steel dovetail components from these folks...

Specifically..
Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Newport might sell something that would suit you, although they probably don't make anything in brass.

Reply to
Mike Henry

Wow, that's amazing. Just who buys this kind of stuff, what applications?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Presswork and multi-slide forming machines. It's a lit easier to build up forming dies and slides from pre-made parts than doing it the old way from scratch.

Didn't see many real photos but this site may give you an idea :

Koz

Reply to
Koz

Thanks Everyone!!! Several hours of internet searching was futile until I posted here. It's going to be used on a hobby type item: a sinograph: You know that a compass can make a circle on your paper, but this unit will make a sine wave of various amplitudes and frequencies as it is slid across your paper. Sort of a fun item to create, I hope.

Thanks again!

Ned Simm> > I am building a small project using only stock parts requiring no

dovetail

search,

Reply to
funster

Look for junk computer printers. Inside you will find a nice small linear bearing and shaft that you might be able to use for your project.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf