Resurrecting something different.

Bored today, laid up with shingles so not doing much. Decided to finally have a look at the Every Ready tube train I acquired about 5 years ago just out of curiosity and see if would actually run. The power bogie seems to have held together and not disintegrated through metal fatigue which was a common problem with them. Motor initially wouldn't run, the power bogie was easily removed with a small spanner supplied with the set and a drop of oil put on the bearings. I was half expecting the 55 + year old magnet to have got too weak but a few finger spins with 3 volts applied soon had it running nicely with no sign or smell of electric smoke. I don't think it has actually run much even the Ever Ready label remaining on the motor. Reassembled and the crude 4 ft diameter circle of 3 rail tinplate track laid. Surprisingly power reached all sections despite the crude joining pins possibly haven't been connected since the fifties. Took a while for the train to run smoothly despite power reaching it. It's only two wheel drive and very light and it seemed friction from a light coating of rust on the rails was enough to hold it back . A bit of a clean and a rub of a soft pencil along the third rail made all the difference. It's now whizzing around the track sparking like the real thing on a frosty night destroying all MW wireless around the house for that authentic 1950's effect. It was designed for 6 Volts originally from a battery that slotted into the controller but applying 6 Volts makes it run demented and disappear under the sofa so 4 Volts is enough. Remembering how batteries of that era run down that is probably deliberate. Tomorrow I'll solder some wires to the controller. The missus is working away tonight so I won't have to pick it up off the carpet before bedtime.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I remember seeing one of those in the toy shop window in the 1950s and wishing I could have one. I now have an EFE 4-car set of 1938 stock which I've motorised with 2 Tenshodo power bogies, and replaced the other wheels with Romfords. It runs quite well on OO/HO track.

Reply to
MartinS

I seem to remember reading an article where somebody had made the sliding doors open and closed (in some BR stock) using memory wire.....

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

My sympathies...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

MERG member Gordon Hopkins.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Came across this while browsing.

Door action looks very good IMHO.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Neat.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I suppose it's okish for O gauge, I was expecting Z or at least 2mm.

(runs for cover)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Too bad it runs on that clunky 3-rail tinplate track.

Reply to
MartinS

It gave a nice 38-stock wheel rhythm though, I thought.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Well LT track always looks a bit clunky anyway with the use of Bullhead rail until comparatively recently and the two current rails,which on the open sections seem to be a much heavier section than the equivalent 3rd on the Southern.

Giving it another listen is there a compressor sound there as well? or is it a recording artifact. G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I'm not sure. I did think it was a compressor noise too at first, but it seemed continuous so perhaps it was something else.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton