May be of interest to some of you!

A "vintage" Deltic "brought out of retirement"...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13592652

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.me.uk /

Looks lovely but I thought there were a shed load of class 58s and some class 60s parked up doing nothing?
--

All the best,

Chris

On 31/05/2011 13:58, Chris Wilson wrote:

Suggest it's a lot lot cheaper to spot hire RSG than it is to recomission a box/bone..
Rob.

Probably correct but the time was when the various companies would have one or two ready to go as spares. Just a thought.
--

All the best,

Chris

On 31/05/2011 15:53, Chris Wilson wrote:

I'm afraid the world is run by accountants.....shortly we will run out of electricity generation capacity because there is no spare.
Rob.

People don't want nuclear power plants, they don't want coal-burning plants and they don't want wind farms and their associated power lines, but they still want unlimited cheap electricity. What's the solution?
--
Martin S.

On 31/05/2011 20:33, MartinS wrote:

Apparently the solution to all of our "green" concerns is to drive electric cars. Oh, hang on a minute, we don't actually want to generate more electricity because it's dirty and unsightly. It always seems to be the green brigade that object to greener forms of generating electricity!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.me.uk /

Charged overnight by cheap "off-peak" electricity. Oh, hang-on, there'll be so much demand that there will no longer be any off-peak electricity.
MBQ

Home Inverters powered by massed banks of AA dry cells bought off Ebay, Amazon etc delivered by Donkey Carts. These are part of the worldwide Donkey Hauled Logistics group once known as DHL.
G.Harman
On 31/05/2011 21:51, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Inverters powered by solar panels so they will have to do all the travel at night so the cars can be charged when the Sun's out. Hey that would work with electric railways in the daytime.
--
Chris

On 31/05/2011 3:33 PM, MartinS wrote:

Magic.
Wolf K.

A mixture of things, probably led by the Severn barrage

Some would be quite happy!

Because they don't solve anything and require huge subsidies.

Put all the objectors on a special tarrif with smart meters that cut them off when the wind isn't blowing.
MBQ
On 01/06/2011 10:33, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

A lot of people object to wind turbines as well
--
Chris

On 31/05/2011 20:33, MartinS wrote:

Who cares what people want? Just generate electricity in such a way that all demand is met. No subsidies, though, and charge appropriately so that those who want expensively generated electricity pay through the nose for it.
--
Jane

On 02/06/2011 2:21 PM, Jane Sullivan wrote:

[...]
By "no subsidies", do you also mean "no indirect subsidies", as for example, ending the indirect subsidy of allowing fossil fuel users to avoid paying for the health care costs they inflict on the rest of us? If so, I'm with you.
Wolf K.
On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:52:26 +0100, Wolf K wrote

"The rest of us..." So you don't use ANY fossil fuels?
On 03/06/2011 4:45 AM, Stimpy wrote:

Of course I do. But the price does not express the true costs. Most of the cost is "externalised", which Milton Friedman and other econotwits largely ignored. In fact, Friedmanites advise businesses to externalise as much of their cost as possible. Fortunately, their influence is beginning to wane.
These externalities are the indirect subsidies I refer to. They distort the market. The question always is, Whom do these subsidies benefit? The answer is, Follow the money.
Have you not noticed that when a politician is in favour of a subsidy, he calls it an "investment", and when he opposes it, he calls it a "cost"?
Etc. OT for this group.
Wolf K.

Screech of brakes..... hold on there, just one cotton-picking moment, Wolf.
He asked you about "the rest of us". He didn't ask you about the price of tomatoes.
So less of the smoke and mirrors about economic history, please, and just explain who is "the rest of us", and how you fit yourself into that class which ascribes some sort of moral superiority unto itself. 'Cause I smell a whiff of cant and hypocrisy in the air....
Steve W

On 05/06/2011 8:00 AM, Steve W wrote:

Ok, since you asked:
"The rest of us" is merely ordinary folk, you and me, citizens, etc , as distinct from corporations who "externalise" costs. We all pay for these "externals", in all kinds of ways. "Externals" are for example dumping waste-water into the rivers, dumping inadequately filtered waste gases and vehicle exhaust into the atmosphere, using public roads for trucking ore instead of company-owned railways, leaving spoil heaps for "the tax payer" to clean up, using pesticides to enable "perfect" roses (shipped by air from Chile to USA/Canada/etc), etc and so on and so forth.
But we're in the game. This mess of indirect (and largely hidden) subsidies exists because we want "cheap" goods and services. We have this weird notion that the only costs of a good or service are a) paid in cash; and b) paid directly to the provider. Both of these propositions are nonsense. True, a lot of these externals have been regulated into internal costs in our more enlightened countries, but those regulations merely tend to move production offshore to less regulated countries.
The "free market" theory is fine in theory. Unfortunately, it can work as theory prescribes if and only if at least two conditions are met: a) all prices represent relative costs completely and accurately; and b) no participant (seller or buyer) has sufficient market power to distort prices for his benefit.
All actual markets are both formally and informally regulated. The question to ask is, For whose benefit? At present, the market is regulated in favour of trans-national corporations.
Wolf K.