polishing of silver; best storing protectant of silver

I wonder if there is a method of polishing silver wherein not one single atom of silver is lost in the polishing process? To me polishing is ultrafine sandpapering.

So is there a method of getting silver clean and sparkling without removing a single atom of silver?

And a related question: I see some silverware wrapped in some velour like cloth. Is that cloth specifically designed to keep silver from tarnishing or would any cloth be okay. I suppose a cloth that has no sulfur content.

I suspect most every plastic has sulfur content and in contact with silver would eventually blacken the silverware as the sulfur atoms bond to the silver.

Anyone have good suggestions on polishing and storing silverware?

Archimedes Plutonium

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Reply to
Archimedes Plutonium

Subject: polishing of silver; best storing protectant of silver Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:18:57 -0600 From: Archimedes Plutonium Reply-To: NOiwEMAIL Organization:

Newsgroups: sci.materials, sci.chem