I read this on CATIA in PopSci...

Hi All,

I was reading PopSci and learned that CATIA can change a side by side fuel cell configuration to a stacked one when the width of the car becomes too narrow. How would you do it in SWX? Would it involve programming?

Thanks,

Stephen

Reply to
stephen

Obviously, you could make configurations for the different geometries. The trick would be getting SW to automatically change the assembly configuration based on other geometric conditions.

In the specific case, of stacks of components like fuel cells, I think you could do it with equations driving pattern quantities. You'd need to look up the appropriate rounding functions to get integer values.

Since SW equations use VB syntax and functions (including one-line IF (or IIF) statements), you might call this programming. I'm not sure I would. That's a fuzzy line with equations. Call it hacking and just do it. You can look up VB functions in the help in the macro editor.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I think I need to clarify here. There is no facility within SW to automatically cahnge configurations. The closest thing is a design table, but that has to be opened by the user to make any changes. An add-in would be needed to change configurations without user interventions.

Either way, the routing of the power cables, connectors, mounting brakcets, etc. would all have to be altered to match. I'd be suprised to learn that CATIA can handle all of those cleanly without being pre-defined. The cable routing in particular.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Actually I think it can be done I haven't tried it yet but you could enter equations into your design table to control the config according to a compared value. I have used equations in design tables for values but not for configuration changes. Maybe if I have some time I will create a scenario.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

My point was that the design table can't make the change without user intervention. We still have to manually open the design table to expose those equations to the model. Just rebuilding can't do it. Apart from this detail, I'm sure SW can do it.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Fisher-Unitech an authorized SolidWorks distributor has a product they were demonstrating last year that may do what you are seeking. I believe the product is called "Quick Design" or something line that.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

I just did it with component patterns and equations. Nothing too difficult. Just remember to hit rebuild.

Thanks for all the inputs!

Regarding the equation and pattern method, would the equation just be WidthofCar/WidthofFuelCell then somehow rounded down to the largest integer? The vertical stack count would just be (2 - the integer)? What if I want to first shrink the size of the fuel cell until a minimum size, then change to a vertical stack? What would that involve?

Thanks again,

Stephen

Reply to
stephen

I think you will find that when you do

A/B as input to a count it rounds down I believe.

3/3=1 3/2=1

iif(boolean, value if true, value if false)

You can also use loose lines as global variables in the above equation.

Writing a macro for this can't be that hard either. Just record the motions you go through to change the configuration.

It would involve something like this...

It's about as simple as it gets and could of course be made as an assembly if desired.

Mike Wilson

PS: Don't buy into the hype about "Global Variables new for 2005!". SolidWorks has had that ability for many years, and is utilized in this

2004 file.
Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

How about new "proper support" of global variables in 05?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Mike,

This problem has my creative juices go> > Regarding the equation and pattern method...

I'm confused! How can I find the container with the least amount of volume if they are all one fixed size?

Or is it that each fixed size box is a different size from each other?

I'm thinking Macro Feature to find the mass and do calculations?

I'd be interested in more details!

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson