Flattening Embosses

Problem 2004 you create an embossed part with a few holes added with the embossing tool. When you go to flat pattern either you show the embos if it's final state or you suppress it and show nothing. It would be nice if the holes were atleast projected or something. When going to our plasma machine the CAM software drops the whole profile of the emboss and wants to cut the outer shape. Anyway anyone know of any related improvements with

2005.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

not sure about your particular application but typically embosses are done as a sheetmetal forming tool. it will show up in flat using this method.

Reply to
kenneth b

nevermind

Reply to
kenneth b

Im not sure what you're getting at....

your PLASMA wont do embosses so its the fault of Solidworks?

If you insist on leaving geometry in your Flat pattern that your machine cant manufacture, then DONT TOOLPATH THE GEOMETRY!

and if you made the entire part in a punch, would it actually be any easier ?

Reply to
rocheey

OK I am using Forming tools to flange a hole. Since the Forming tools can cut a hole I don't pre cut it on my model. When sending the flat pattern to the cam since the Forming tool doesn't flatten out I end up with the major diameter of the flanged hole instead of the hole diameter. My point is It sure would be nice to see what the hole should be before It gets flanged. So I can cut it at my plasma machine. Anyway I guess I am the only one.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

like a tapped extrusion? anyway, i get minor diameter.

Reply to
kenneth b

once again, nevermind. :(

Reply to
kenneth b

My workaround is to twiddle the Flat Pattern Configuration. Activate the Flat pattern Configuration, suppress the Form tool FEATURE, but keep the sketch unsuppressed.

Generate a new cut feature in the flat configuration, using the sketch of the form tool feature as a base to dimension off of. Make the Cut your minor diameter.

You will probably have to go back and suppress this new cut feature in your parent config.

Reply to
rocheey

Hi Corey -

My practice with this sort of thing has been to model the pre-hole and then drop the forming tool down on it after, which makes both features configurable.

I actually have gotten completely away from the forming tool for this scenario because of the inherent "externalized geometry" and "thickness only" problems. I usually create the pre-hole which is present in the flat blank, then create a larger cut hole of almost arbitrary size and then I do a revolve to form my extrusion or flanged hole. Since most of these features like small extrusion never have a rim of one material thickness, I find that the extrude makes for better (i.e. more lifelike) geometry. For these types of features, I like to make the die clearance about 1/2 to 5/8 material thickness because it gets a straighter side.

I know that you know all the ins-and-outs of sheet metal modeling & fabrication, so nothing here is any news to you. But, you might be happy modeling a pre-hole because it helps the fidelity of the flat blank. Somebody somewhere needs to know what pre hole you wanted them to use, right? It's also useful to show "what we did to make those parts" two years down the road once everyone has forgotten the particulars of the job.

Later,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

Not the answer I was hoping for but sound advice. This has been the way I have been doing it and you are quite right about having a reference to what the desired hole size should be. Rocheey had a good method too. I was hoping there was a new method in 05 that would make things better.

thank you all Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I'm not sure if you have seen 05 yet, but they have not done diddly for sheet metal, except adding the ability to mirror flanges (something I don't feel intrinsically excited about anyways). Maybe there is some new crafty thing that they have hidden in there, but it looks doubtful.

There's always the future though. Man I would love to see them add an extrusion wizard, complete with configurable pre-hole, and a user definable backside (die side). Dream on sean - this would actually be useful.

:)

Later,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

what about embosses from sheetmetal tool, can they be flattened?

Reply to
kenneth b

They can be suppressed, but this doesn't really acheive the same thing as flattening. Embosses may draw some material from around it when formed, so the flat pattern would need to bulge in some way, and SW on its own doesn't do that.

If you want software that estimates the flat pattern of drawn/formed parts (non-brake press operations), you might want to try Logopress or Blankworks. Logopress will actually help you layout and design progressive dies. It's pretty slick, actually.

matt

Reply to
matt