DWG export files behave strange in AutoCAD

Hi,

has anybody experienced or worked around this problem:

DWG export files change dramatically as soon as they are loaded into ACAD and the first modify command is issued - line thickness vanishes and all lines become equal, measures change to nominal values, tolerances are gone, details are lost... those files are not suitable for any work in ACAD.

Btw, the ProE Version used is still 2000i2 - and newer ones are not available, so please don´t recommend any upgrade.

TIA

Walther

Reply to
Walther Mathieu

Walter,

You might have inadvertently changed some export setting. I've never had anything like this in 2000i, 2000i2, or 2001. I don't have 2000i2 loaded on my computer anymore, but if I have time I'll try to experiment with export from 2001 (I don't think it changed much, if at all, from 2000i2). By the way, why do you need line thickness in ACAD? I've worked with it for nearly a decade, and the de-facto standard had always been to 'color-code' line thickness, i.e., to assign different pen widths to different colors in the plot configuration dialog. Also, files I've exported from ProE into AutoCAD had always lost all dimension associativity (dimensions came across as simple blocks). That has been very inconvenient from time to time, but it certainly never gave ACAD any chance to change the dimension style. Could it be that this is what is happening? You have dimension styles defined in your ACAD drawing template that override the settings of Pro/E output?

Reply to
Alex Sh.

Is it a 2D- or a 3D-file? If it is 2D try DXF instead of DWG.

If it is a 3D-file than you have to search for the cause of the problem in ACAD. Is it possible that the details and informations you are missing are located on different layers?

Reply to
Johannes Pietsch

It is 2D (Drawing) and DXFs make no difference when imported.

How do I force elements of ProE Drawings to arise on specific layers in ACAD (if not by color)? Even in 2000i2?

Walther

Reply to
Walther Mathieu

I don´t know if there are handles anywhere on the ProE side to change the behaviour of exported drawings... the (bad) effect that shows up came with V20, too (I found some DWG exports I made long ago which do the same).

You mean the ACAD plot configuration dialog, right? Until recently I had no opportunity to experiment with that because there was no ACAD here at all. I would be glad to know how to force exported drawings to behave correctly!

Geometry is white and nearly everything else ist yellow in ProE _and_ in DWG when imported into ACAD, too. ProE Drawings are pieces of art, but whenever one tries to modify the exported DWG (esp. text) the result is desastrous...

If it only were for associativity! Measures loose tolerances, increase size, rotate into horizontal and change position, always have four decimal digits and in some

cases even do not show the correct value (fractions of mm away from that).

Yes, I guess it is something like that... but those drawing template definitions in ACAD are the default ones that come with ACAD 2000. To my customer, who works with nothing but ACAD (also with the default settings) it is annoying that

my drawings cause a lot of additional work.

Whenever one tries to modify text there is nothing but brackets in the input dialog and afterwards there is that ugly ACAD dimension style, stripped of all informazion that is important for machining of parts...

Thank you very much for your help so far and if you ever find out something about how to keep the worthy part of ProE dimensioning in ACAD imports it would be very, very helpful!

Walther

Reply to
Walther Mathieu