Looking for motion tracking software to automatically track a ball .

I'm looking for software to automatically track a ball in a video stream. Think tracking a tennis ball, against a fairly plain background.
So the input would be a video stream, and the output is a set of coordinates of the tracked ball. The camera would be fixed. Ideally, you'd be able to do this in realtime.
I'm sure this is a pretty standard thing (I've seen it done!) but I can't find any packages that do it, probably because I don't know what phrase to search for.
I want to run the software on a Windows PC.
What is this sort of thing called? Motion tracking? Image tracking? Object tracking?
Can anyone reccomend any packages that do this?
Thanks in advance,
Jim
I'm not sure if this product will give you what you need, but there is a product called Cam2Pan which will track a spot and convert it to mouse motions.
I think the web site is www.cam2pan.com

Thanks, but I don't think this is suitable.
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@virtualspectator.com (Jim Williams) wrote;

When I got the software about a year ago, they were not selling hardware like they are now. I would still recommend contacting them to see if they may have a software solution you can easily adapt.
Also, I came across this other site. This guy has a motion tracking system with API interface.
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/MotionTracking?CGISESSID de1de148220f992fab6545ee1d385b
Also, he has a lot of other links for motion related stuff
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome
Joe Dunfee
Jim Williams wrote:

Try eyesweb it is free mainly used for tracking dancers. It has a visual join the fubctional boxes interface.
http://www.infomus.dist.unige.it/EyesWeb/EywPlatformDownload.html
You're going to need a real-time OS most likely. Regular windows (big fat) MIGHT work, but maybe a real-time version of CE or something else embedded would be more reliable.
Andy

Andy Baker wrote:

You can do it very easily even with standard desktop install with loads of crap installed and running in the background. I managed it fine even with my own unoptimised software, running at about 30-40fps on a 320x240 video stream. This was with just a 1700+ cpu. If you wanted you could use a smaller resolution (I seem tor ecall that the CMU cam thing uses a resolution that is something like 160x120) for similar perforamnce on a slower cpu.

Thanks very much, I'll have a look.
Jim
As far as I know this type of vision system, it takes several different types to enable a robot with full vision, is called duotronic vision. When a robot tracks a moving object a ball, a human, a dog, whatever, that object is called a sprite in digital video, hence the name, duotronic. You might try searching google under duotronic*vision, etc. Hope this helps!
Tom Jim Williams ( snipped-for-privacy@virtualspectator.com) wrote: : I'm looking for software to automatically track a ball in a video : stream. : Think tracking a tennis ball, against a fairly plain background. : So the input would be a video stream, and the output is a set of : coordinates of the tracked ball. The camera would be fixed. : Ideally, you'd be able to do this in realtime.