Smoke tracking.

I am looking for a smoke mixture that I can have the second stage Estes
D engine light so I can track the final path of a rocket. It must be
low flame so it wouldn't start a fire if the rocket crashes in the
desert. Any suggestions?
Reply to
rocketdragon
MRC had some no thrust smoke effect "engines". I -think- they are OOP, but you may be able to find some old stock somewhere.
Reply to
Matt
Talk to someone who mixes research motors as there are some smoke mixtures out there that are easy to make. As long as one is not looking for a precision delay, the tracking smoke works well. One word of caution is that one has to insulate the case well as the smoke delays burn hot. Just look at how the smoke delays are packaged in the commercial RMS motors. Quite a bit of insulation there in the form of a thick cardboard tube.
Kurt
Reply to
Kurt
Thank both of you for the info. I got a tip from the Pyro group that 50% KNO3 and 50% sugar will work. Kurt wrote:
Reply to
rocketdragon
Sorry the page is in German, but Woti do exactly what you're looking for - smoke powder & tablets.
G.
Reply to
Graham