Hardinge Live Center disassembly

Has anyone ever had one of the Hardinge live centers apart? It looks like I'll need to machine an aluminum or brass sleeve to press the nose cap off from the MT2 body end, but I thought I'd check the wisdom of the list before launching into the operation. It may be that they used internal truarc rings (shudder) that snap into internal grooves, but I'm hoping that it is simpler than that.

(Before someone asks, the bearings are toast, and I'm not worried about tenth tolerances in my particular application for the center. I understand Hardinge says they are not designed to be repaired, but if it was put together, it seems logical that it would come apart, even if it means making a new nose cap. It's certainly better than throwing it in the trash....)

Happy holidays, Mike

Reply to
Mike Hanz

Mike, I recently had my light duty center apart because I thought the bearings were bad. Turns out they were just dirty and it now works fine.

The anodized aluminum shield simply pressed off mine. No snap rings. There was very little room to grab the shield so I bored a snug fitting hole in a block of wood and pressed it off. Mine was not tight at all - possibly because someone had been in there before. Beneath the shield is a nut that hold the bearing assy into the body - requires a pin spanner wrench. A pair of precision matched radial contact bearings are retained on the center by another little nut. I did not pay attention to the size of the bearings to see if replacements could be easily obtained. Good luck, Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Schwitters

Jim, many thanks for replying. That's the news I was hoping for! Will give it a try with some hard oak I've been saving for some unknown purpose.

- Mike

Reply to
Mike Hanz