Threading on Hardinge DV59?

I know this is an oddball thing to ask but...
Has anyone heard of someone making mods to a DV59 so they can turn an
occasional unusual thread?
I'm pondering designing an easily attachable/removable add-on so I can
do it. I know that for doing lots of threading it would make more
sense to get a different lathe, but I might do this anyway just to
have a bizarre project.
Anyone care to dissuade me or point to an existing solution?
Thanks
Jamie
The most obvious is a Geometric die head and chasers.
Does your lathe have a tailstock or a turret?
Reply to
Ned Simmons
I missed the "bizarre project" first time thru. How about adapting a threading attachment for a Hardinge chucker to your lathe?
Reply to
Ned Simmons
Sounds like this may be an item to investigate.
David Billington
Thanks for the comments everyone. Ned - The lathe has a turret, but I just bought a tailstock for it also. I will definitely follow your advice and get a die holder - I think Hardinge made one for the turret that has some sort of quick release/ retract gizmo - need to look into it further.
The limiting factor on designing a system to make custom / unusual threads is that the lathe only goes down to 200 rpm. I might have to make some auxillary drive system that you can engage with the regular transmission in neutral. Probably a fools errand, but it might be funto try anyway. J
Reply to
Jamie
That sounds like a Geometric head.
pdf manual:
Ned Simmons
One thing you could do is to use a VFD. If the motor is a 3 phase motor, then you just have to add the variable frequency drive. If the motor is a single phase motor, then you have to change the motor as well.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster
Well ... I do 5.8-27 threads in brass at 850 RPM with no problems with my Clausing 12x24" and a bed turret with a 1" Geometric die head and the proper chasers.
The real problem is that for *unusual* threads, you first have to find the chasers for that thread. You can custom order them but after a few different unusual threads it might be cheaper to get another lathe with a leadscrew and quick-change gearbox. :-) Figure perhaps $150.00 or so for a custom set of chasers -- and they'll ask you want material you want to thread so they can make the chasers with the right rake in addition to everything else.
Enjoy, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
With a die head...Geometric or H&G (which are cheap)....it really doesnt make a lot of difference what your low end is. Now if you want slow...you can run the beasty from a VFD and drop it down to nearly stationary.
Gunner
Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Contact Leigh at MarMachine. He has a literal SHITLOAD of H&G die elements and a number of H&G heads
catruckman at aol.com
Gunner
Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.
Reply to
Gunner Asch
DV-59 is partway down.
I have 2 of them.
Also a TFB for sale if anyone is interested. Same page