Anyone know what this thing is?

It's number 145 on the site below, the guy who sold it to me said he found three of them in a machinist's toolbox:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Looks like a hair pick for an afro to me. Very popular in the seventies.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
Grant Erwin

The first one looks like a screwdriver with lots of special tips. The second one looks like a retractable scriber. The third one is definitely a tool for Shraeder tire valve stems: removing and replacing the valve core, retapping the valve core thread or pulling on the vlave stem to insert it, and rethreading the outside of the stem.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Looks like a Klingon toothpick to me.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

I'll bet it's for golfers. When the ball leaves a dent in the green they stick a tool like the one pictured under the dent and pull the grass back up. Really. I used to work for a golf nut. He had several different styles of these. Wallet sized ones, key chain sized, larger ones to store in the golf bag, etc. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

The first one is a tool for removing the collets that hold the winding stem in pocket watch.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Sure it was a machinist's toolbox and not his lunchbox? Maybe he liked pickles.

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

"Eric R Snow" wrote

I have seen golfers use them, too. Called a divot tool. How big is this one in question?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

How big is it?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It's 3 1/4" long, the two outer points are 1 3/16" apart, and it's just a little less than 1/16" thick. A magnet will stick to it but not very well. The edges are a bit sharp, as if they weren't meant for frequent handling or maybe they never got around to smoothing them yet.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

You could be right, but have you ever seen them with three tines? It doesn't have nice round edges like you would expect for a hand tool, but maybe it isn't finished. The points are sharp enough that you wouldn't want to put it in your pocket, also there's no hole in it like most divot tools have.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Correct. Thanks to all who responded, I need to run out for a while tonight and won't be able to reply to more messages until after work tomorrow.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I'm seeing a frog or fish gig, but that could just be the redneck in me. :)

Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

It's called a "Header". It's the title of a message which is posted to newsgroups so that people can decide whether to read the "Body", or content of the message, and whether to reply (whether or not they have read the Body)

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

I can think of a couple of things it could be when finished, bet choice would be to spot a handle on to it and use it as the over sized fork used when cooking on the barbecue grill.

Reply to
John Keeney

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 12:33:50 +0800, Old Nick calmly ranted:

And speaking of footerssigs, could you please put a blank line between yours and the body of the message so it's easier to read? Thanks.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think that number 143 has two uses, a scribe as you mentioned, and as something else.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Yes, it was probably custom made for something like that.

Reply to
R.H.

Yes, but it's used by a particular profession.

Correct, but I think it has a second use.

Correct.

I've been posting links to my site for people there to guess/figure out what the objects are, stop by and join us if anyone is interested.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.