Anyone Know What Bloxygen Is?

Bloxygen is a can of some kind of gas, sold to be sprayed inside
partial containers of paint, varnish, lacquer, etc. The theory is
that it displaces the oxygen and stops the hardening/curing process.
Does anyone know what this gas might be?
Kinda related, would there be any ill effects from using argon for
this purpose? From the 'net I find that argon molecules dont combine
with themselves or with anything else, so it seems pretty safe.
theboss
theboss at ridgeworks dot com
Reply to
LP
Could be CO2, it's heavier than air and very cheap.
It's an inert gas, won't combine with anything at all in any conditions you'll ever have. The only danger from inert gasses is oxygen displacement - if you have a room full of it, you'll suffocate while breathing deeply.
In the quantities we're talking, or as a welding gas, not gonna be a problem. The product will have a CAS number on the container, which you can google for to find out what it is (if it doesn't say on the can).
Dave Hinz
Reply to
Dave Hinz
Nitrogen? Although that's a little light. At least CO2, which can also be stored as a compressed gas. Most likely a hydro/chloro/fluoro-carbon, dense and inert with a "high" boiling point (I mean, for a gas) so it stores at a reasonable pressure in the can and doesn't freeze the balls off whatever it sprays on (if you happen to hold the canister upside-down).
Yeah, it'd work. It's a smidge heavier than air (about halfway between air and CO2 density) so it'll stay in place while you set the lid... sorta.
Tim

Tim Williams
Says right on my can: "Contains Nitrogen, Argon, and Carbon Dioxide".
All the details are in the FAQ at:
It originated from the Napa Valley wine industry...
Loren
Reply to
Loren Amelang
I have used argon and propane. Both work. Propane is more convenient.
Randy
Reply to
rasek
Thanks to all who replied. Argon it is. I, too, have used propane in the past with good results but I'm a bit leery of it just because it's an explosive gas.
Reply to
LP
Actually, it's a _flammable_ gas. And your shop probably has dozens of things in it which are more hazardous. Sense of perspective and all that...
Reply to
Dave Hinz
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:11:56 -0500, LP calmly ranted:
The plain facts:

So are most solvents used in finishes which skin over, so don't worry about it too awfully much.
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----
Comprehensive Website Development
Reply to
Larry Jaques