What kind of rubber is this?

Hi folks. I wonder if someone here knows what kind of rubber is used to manufacture standard automotive motor mounts. It's a black hard rubber.

If you know what this is, please let me know.



Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Hi Dana,

afaik most engine mounts are still made from natural rubber (NR). It is a good compromise between high elasticity over a wide range of temperature and the most important physical property - the price.

Only in case of higher temperature (like for encapsulated engines) one has to consider other elastomers as EPDM or Silicone.

What Al means is high damping elements, usually made from butyl rubber, but it is not used normally for engine mounts. Controlled damping in engine mounts is sometimes done by filling them with vicous liquids - hydromounts-.


Reply to
Matthias Bertram

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.