what kind of propane torch is this?

This is a weird Bernzomatic handheld propane torch. Screws onto a bottle. It has
some sort of ring suspended above an array of orifices. After the torch is lit
for a few seconds, the ring glows orange. Anyone have any idea what this is or
why it has a ring in it?
formatting link

Reply to
Grant Erwin
Loading thread data ...
Look like part of a halide torch...
Reply to
Didn't they used to use a propane fired torch for detecting refrigerant /halogen leaks? The flame color changed in their presence.
Reply to
I'd be guessing some sort of mixer/disperser action going on there, with possibly some sort of catalytic coating and resulting reaction as well.
It might also be useful to keep that monster head lit - once it warms up.
I'd be interested in hearing what it's about if you find out for sure.
Reply to
Don Bruder
That looks like a freon leak detector that I used many years ago except that there was a fitting on the side with a small rubber hose about a foot long on it. You move the hose around the A/C fittings and if it draws in any freon the flame turns green IIRC.
Don't remember noticing a ring in it but I didn't really think about how it worked at the time.
Best Regards, Keith Marshall snipped-for-privacy@progressivelogic.com
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"
Reply to
Keith Marshall
Definitely looks like a Halide detector to me. I used one very similar to that for years servicing automotive air conditioners before the electronic halide detectors and ultrasonic leak detectors had been invented.
Reply to
OK, it's a halide detector torch, without the sniffer hose. Made by Bernzomatic. Anyone want it? Dirt cheap ..
snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.> >
Reply to
Grant Erwin

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.