what kind of propane torch is this?

This is a weird Bernzomatic handheld propane torch. Screws onto a bottle. It has some sort of ring suspended above an array of orifices. After the torch is lit for a few seconds, the ring glows orange. Anyone have any idea what this is or why it has a ring in it?

Pix:

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Look like part of a halide torch...

Reply to
Rick

Didn't they used to use a propane fired torch for detecting refrigerant /halogen leaks? The flame color changed in their presence.

Reply to
bamboo

I'd be guessing some sort of mixer/disperser action going on there, with possibly some sort of catalytic coating and resulting reaction as well.

It might also be useful to keep that monster head lit - once it warms up.

I'd be interested in hearing what it's about if you find out for sure.

Reply to
Don Bruder

That looks like a freon leak detector that I used many years ago except that there was a fitting on the side with a small rubber hose about a foot long on it. You move the hose around the A/C fittings and if it draws in any freon the flame turns green IIRC.

Don't remember noticing a ring in it but I didn't really think about how it worked at the time.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Definitely looks like a Halide detector to me. I used one very similar to that for years servicing automotive air conditioners before the electronic halide detectors and ultrasonic leak detectors had been invented.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

OK, it's a halide detector torch, without the sniffer hose. Made by Bernzomatic. Anyone want it? Dirt cheap ..

GWE

snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.> >

Reply to
Grant Erwin