what kind of lock is this?

hey i was wondering what type of lock this is, here is a drawing i made of the keyhole:

this lock is on a tall cabinet, and it is locking a sort of flip down door on it. thanks

Reply to
Raoul Duke

Looks like an old-fashioned bit-key lock. Most likely either warded or lever mechanism. Impossible to tell more from a sketch of the keyhole; someone knowledgable would have to examine the lock itself.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

From the location, my first tentative guess would be warded (primarily based on cost considerations.) Is the end of a "post" visible in the center of the circular top portion of the keyhole? If so, this would seem to be the very common/typical warded lock configuration. Of course, this doesn't rule out a lever lock. A person skilled enough to fit a key to an old warded lock, should be easily able to check the type of the lock.

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

Unless I miss my guess, you are not asking the question you want an answer to.

If I were to make a sketch of keyholes on cars, do you think that would be helpful in defining the type of lock? How about if I were to say it was a big car or perhaps a station wagon?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf