What is this asterisk-shaped lock?

Hi all; I'm trying to track down an unusual lock I saw in a hotel in Europe last yer.

A photo fo the key that fits in the lock:

I wish I'd taken a photo of the lock, but you can get a pretty good idea of what it looked like from the key. The keyhole is asterisk-shaped.

A little searching on Google suggests that the lock was made by Dickey Manufacturing Company, but I fear they may have left the door lock business.

Anybody ever see such a thing before? Are they still made?

Reply to
Edward A. Falk

I have not seem that particular key before, but a number of merchant safes use a day lock with a multiple keyway key fin structure of that nature. During the day when safe access is important you use the key, and after closing time you spin the cam dial (most safes do not have tumblers anymore.)

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

Try posting this question on "alt.locksmithing". Someone will know.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I've seen something similar on a chain access in Pa by the dept of Forests and Waters, I think it was. It was at least

35 years ago and my memory isn't what it once was. :-) ...lew...
Reply to
Lew Hartswick

=A0 Looks like a descendant of the Bramha lock. Was unpickable for 60 years until an American locksmith claimed the 200 guinea prize for picking one. There's an "Inventing History" episode that shows the internal construction.

Chris

Reply to
chrish57

Wow, 200 guineas is one meal a week for almost 4 years.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Bramah's lock was one of the earliest mass-produced precision mechanisms and contributed significantly to the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It doesn't look like a Bramah (note the spelling) lock:

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

And it took him 51 hours, spread across 16 days to do it. Fascinating stuff.

Reply to
Edward A. Falk

Oh, ho. The upper-right lock in this photo looks very similar to the one I saw in France.

Edward A. Falk

It *looks* to be similar in operation to the barrel key locks found on vending machines and the like (including some computers).

I've never seen one just like this before -- but I could probably make a lock to fit the key, given sufficient motivation, and access to the key itself. It would not be pretty, but it would work as a lock for *something*.

Now another interesting one (which I do not have a photo of) was for a hotel room in Cairo Egypt. It looked like three normal door keys mounted spine to spine, and each one cut differently. Must be a bear to duplicate -- which of course was what the hotel wanted. :-)

Given the blanks for your example key, I could also make a machine to duplicate it -- but that would take even more motivation. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Also available as replacement locks for the Kennedy line of toolboxes.

For our international readers Kennedy is the more-or-less standard metal machinist's tool chest in the USA. [brown wrinkle finish paint] Gerstner in the top of the line wood model here.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Jim Wilkins