Re: Bike Lock Can Be Picked With a Pen

By THEO EMERY, AP

BOSTON (Sept. 16) - You don't have to be the Man of Steel to open a Kryptonite bike lock.

AP [image] A ballpoint pen is brought near the cylinder of Kryptonite bicycle lock.

Faster than a speeding bullet, word is spreading across the Internet, through cyclist hangouts and into bike shops that all it takes to open a circular-key lock, like the one on the famous U-shaped Kryptonite-brand lock, is a ballpoint pen.

The U-shaped Kryptonite - consisting of a steel curve with a locking horizontal bar - is a must-have among serious bicyclists. It can cost more than $50, and for an extra $10 to $20, it comes with a guarantee that says the company will pay customers more than $1,000 if product failure results in the theft of a bicycle.

In recent days, bicycle chat rooms on the Internet have been flooded with irate comments from cyclists, some of whom have posted short movies of themselves picking their own locks with the hollow shaft of a Bic pen.

A spokeswoman for the Canton-based company, the country's largest bicycle-lock manufacturer, said it plans to accelerate the introduction of new versions of the lock because of the complaints.

Boston bicycle messenger John Anderson, 23, said a friend showed him how easy it was to defeat a U-lock.

"He did it in about two seconds. I was like, `You've got to be kidding me,"' he said. "People spend a couple of grand (on their bikes), so it's kind of a bummer that people can steal them so easily."

Benjamin Running, a 28-year-old graphic designer in New York, helped start the furor after he posted on the Internet a video of himself picking his own lock.

"These locks literally are viewed as the industry standard, the lock that you must have. They're recommended by every bike shop," he said. "I'm absolutely shattered by this."

Kryptonite spokeswoman Donna Tocci said in a statement that the design still provides "an effective deterrent to theft," but that the company is developing new products using a pen-proof, disc-style cylinder.

"We are accelerating the delivery of the new disc cylinder locks and we will communicate directly with our distributors, dealers and consumers within the coming days. The world just got tougher and so did our locks," the statement said.

The company made no mention of any refunds or free replacements and did not say whether it had received any reports of bikes being stolen with a ballpoint.

Kryptonite was founded in 1972 and is known as the originator of the U-shaped bicycle lock. In had sales of about $27 million in the year before it was acquired in 2001 by Ingersoll-Rand Co., maker of other security products such as Schlage door locks.

Neal Todrys, president of Kryptonite competitor Todson Inc., based in Foxboro, which makes the OnGuard brand of bike locks, said none of the company's current products uses circular key locks. Instead, they use flat-key locks.

He shuddered to think of the mischief possible in Boston, with its huge population of students with two-wheeled transportation.

"It came to me as a shock, because you might have thought that this would be discovered a couple of years ago. We were kind of speechless," Todrys said. "It's a scary thing. I don't wish that on anybody, or on any company for that matter."

Jon Currier, an employee at Belmont Wheelworks, said the bike store took down all the Kryptonite models with pickable locks immediately after he learned of the problem.

He said he doubts the problem will have any long-term effect on Kryptonite, because the company has fixed design flaws before that bike thieves have exploited.

"The name is the Jell-O of bike locks," he said. "They're the original and the survivors."

09/16/04 14:47 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

caveat lector

Halcitron misc.survivalism alt.survival "Failing to prepare.... Is preparing to fail." NRA Member since 2002 The Law of the Land, is the weapon in your hand.

Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

never having seen one, I must ask, is that a 4 pin round key, or a 7?

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

7

Reply to
Coherers

I'm a long time non-locksmith lurker (the guy with the Abloy; you folks have helped me once or twice over the years.)

Speaking as one who puts more miles on a bicycle than a car each year, this information has been of *quite* a bit of concern in various cycling forums and newsgroups. Now that the information is public, can I ask if that is The known, easy, non-cryogenic method of defeating a Kryptonite that's been referred to in this newsgroup in the past? I guess I'm unhappy about security through obscurity, as it represents a huge issue to a lot of folks once the secret becomes known.

Would this be a concern with respect to other circular locks, which I've seen on everything from that Club contraption to vending machines, or are those "better", less cost-constrained locks more likely to defeat amateurs?

A large number of cyclists who happen to own the Kryptonite products have been nervously trying to defeat their own locks. Some have succeeded, in some cases trivially, and others have failed. Would the particular pinning of one lock vs. another be relevant to this reality, or is it simply a matter of luck and technique?

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

Abloy; you folks have

car each year, this

various cycling forums and

if that is The

Kryptonite that's been

unhappy about security

of folks once the

locks, which I've seen

machines, or are those

defeat amateurs?

Kryptonite products have been

succeeded, in some

particular pinning of one

simply a matter of luck

you are asking for defeating instructions. defeating instructions, although it may have been public on other forums, is not usually given on this forum.

personally, I believe the Kryptonite lock in question is over rated. (kinda like supermans style) there are much better locking devices on the market. would suggest looking into Abus Locks.

has a length of 96 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:
g'luck

Reply to
Key

This is all old news really. It's all over the net. The Cronicle had an article this morning about it too. The video demonstration is all over the net. It's quite easy to see how it works by viewing the MOV file.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Anyone try this on the u lock that comes with the NY chain and lock. The only ones I have seen picked are the evolution series. We only stock the NY chain and lock from kryptonite and after about a minute I couldn't get it open with the bic pen trick. Just curious if i should pull these from my shelf or not.

Reply to
Mzone719

and lock. The only

stock the NY chain

couldn't get it open with

from my shelf or not.

if what you say is true. why would you sell an inferior product ?

Reply to
Key

what i asked was if this applied to the locks that I am selling. This is a very popular lock for us here in NYC and I've seen different models being sold in the big boxes, local hardware stores, locksmiths, as well as bike shops. The NY chain and padlock that I stock do not say evolution anywhere on them so I am not sure if there are the locks in question.. In addition, I have pulled them from our shelves until I get in touch with our sales rep from kryptonite. I didn't have too much time today to fool around with bic pens, but when i get a chance I will.

Now Key, why if you don't have an answer to my question are you responding?

Reply to
Mzone719

The article I just read said that the premier version of the lock--NY--isn't subject to this attack unlike locks in the Kryptolock and Evolution series.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

snipped-for-privacy@noyahoo.com - no,no,no

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

selling. This is a

different models being sold

well as bike shops.

anywhere on them so

addition, I have pulled

rep from kryptonite.

pens, but when i get

are you responding?

I did have an answer. one more time just for you. if what you're selling are inferior locks ? you should not be selling them.

is that really so hard for you to understand ?

Reply to
Key

Note: I am drunk. However, I can think quite seriously while I am drunk.

It is hard for everyone to understand. Are you saying Kryptonite locks are inferior? I've read they are the _best_ and _only_ working lockl around for bikes. Are you saying there is another best? what is it? You are offering no information, only blindly insulting. If you expect to be taken seriously or respectfully, answer the question... do not just blabber mindlessly about nothing, as you did twice now.

Are these inferior locks, should they not be sold, is there a better recommendation for a lock that cannot be picked easily, or what? We cannot read your mind; do not expect us to do so.

Again, remember, I _am_ drunk. Quite so.

-DrkShadow

"'Key" snipped-for-privacy@Ya.net wrote in news:4g73d.6596$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com:

----(dunno why this didn't all quote)----

Reply to
DrkShadow

I think he's asking if the problem with the Evolution series from Kryptonite also applies to their NY series. We've all seen wear a manufacturer makes mistakes and one line from them has problems while their other lines are unaffected.

That said, I'd imagine that any problem they have with ANY of their tubular keyways -could- be carried over to ALL lines using their tubular keyways, unless they are offering different versions of tubular keyways or getting parts from different suppliers. I've seen no evidence of that at their website.

To answer your question, Mzone719, I'd contact Kryptonite directly (and take what they say with a grain of salt since they are talking about their own product). I would shy away from all of their tubular locks at least temporarily.

Reply to
Aegis

For the longest time I could not understand why there are so many trolls on this board that pick on Key....now I understand!

Didn't anyone ever teach you if you dont' have anything nice (of helpful for that matter) to say.................

Reply to
Mzone719

Thank you Edward

I'll let you know what I find out on Monday from Kryptonite, If i can get through to them on the phone. I'm sure they are going to bombarded by phone calls.

Thanks again

Reply to
Mzone719

Yeah. Most people think they can drive fine while drunk too.

You haven't been paying any more attention than he was. He (Key) already did post a link to a much better product.

Once again look back in the thread a link to a better product was posted. Don't drink so much.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Maybe 1-3 trolls with alot of different aliases.

Key's an alright guy. He just misread your post.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

while I am drunk.

Kryptonite locks are

yes

around for

then you heard wrong.

there can only be one best.

Abus

wasn't insulting anyone.

blabber mindlessly

If you would have been around here for very long you would know that I a 22+ year veteran of the locksmith trade. I never "blabber mindlessly" when it comes to security.

yes

didn't say they shouldn't be sold. just that they are NOT the best and they are also NOT the worst. many people are price motivated when buying security. and they usually get what they pay for.

what?

see above

Reply to
Key

so many trolls on

no, you really don't...

nice (of helpful for

thats the great thing about usenet and open n/g's. everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

g'day

Reply to
Key

the exploit,