how to open a standart combination lock.

I have a standard 3 number combination lock by MasterLock. it currently
is on my bike chain, and i kinda need it, i forgot the combination, but
i believe that it contains 20 and 30, though am no sure. I heard that
there is some formula to opening this type of lock. There is a place
for a key on the back, I do have a lock pick set, but after I open it,
I still wont know the combination. So could you please tell me how to
figure out the combination and open the lock? I do not want to sit
there and try every combination.
Reply to
14kgary
You would do better to google search for that information than asking locksmiths here.
See
alt.locksmithing answers to Frequently Asked Questions -- Will people on this newsgroup give me information about picking locks, etc.? -- Is there a formula that can find the combination of a Master Lock? -- Can the combination of a Master Lock be found though manipulation?
Google search on Master Lock picking. Read the wikipedia article on lockpicking esp the section on combination locks which has a link to a website on 'hacking a Master Lock' ie "How to recover a combination to a lost Master combination pad lock" which has a link to the 'howstuffworks' article.
Reply to
Mike Easter
Ottawa Canada
No reputable locksmith will tell you how to defeat a lock as being on the Internet, there is no guarantee that you are the rightful owner.
Its odd your bike lock has a key overide, as that is typically the type of lock used in schools and gyms.
Pick the lock open and contact the Master Lock Company who, for a small fee, will send it back to you with a tag on the shackle bearing the correct combination.
Or take bike with lock attached to the nearest gym or school that usew key override Master locks and ask them to look up the combination for you.
You are tqaking the bike with the lock on it to them so they know you are the rightful owner.
You could take it to a locksmith, but the minimum charge for opening the lock would be more than the lock is worth.
Brian
" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) writes:
Reply to
Brian K.Lingard
I somehow interpreted the initial post as being one of his having a bike /chain/ with the lock on it, but the bike chain /not/ being on or securing a bike. Perhaps that's because my own bike in my garage isn't currently locked, but over on the shelf I have a bike (chain) cable which has a combination lock on it to be used for the bike, which combination lock I haven't used in many many years and which has a tape on it with the lock's combination.
If his lock were on the bike chained, it seems that he would certainly need the combination, rather than 'kinda' needing the combi, reading between the lines.
Reply to
Mike Easter
I have a bike lock wrapped around my handlebars. Forgot the combination. Stopped by the fire station and they said they'd cut it off for me if I brought it in. Haven't done it yet, cause I'm still hoping I'll remember the combination in a dream. But at least, the fire station is an option. mike
Reply to
mike
Ottawa Canada
You know for the trouble invoolved and considering how cheap Master bike locks re, it is probably simplest to just cut the shackle off with bolt cutters and buy a new lock.
Brian
"Mike Easter" ( snipped-for-privacy@ster.invalid) writes: > Brian K.Lingard wrote: > >> Or take bike with lock attached
Reply to
Brian K.Lingard
then simply let em cut the sucker off and then go buy yourself another $10 lock.
my2¢
Reply to
Key
Actually, the chain is wrapped around my bike, because the last time i used it i knew the combination, and i havent used it in a while because of winter, and all the snow and stuff, and i forgot the combintion...
Mike Easter wrote:
Reply to
14kgary
Since the numbers on these locks range from 0 to 39, if you already know two numbers from the combination then there are only 240 combinations left to try (0-39, x 6 different orders of (?, 20, 30); (?, 30, 20); (20, ?, 30); etc.)*
Trying them all will probably take less than two hours, once you get a little practiced (which you will after the first dozen!). You should be able to work your way through all of them one evening while watching TV.
Of course, if you're wrong about the 20 and 30, this won't work. After all, it's _supposed_ to be hard to open if you don't know the numbers!
Cheers, Roger
*
Technically it's slightly less than that, because combinations like (20, 20, 30) will be duplicated. But trying to skip the duplicates will save very little time and just get you confused.
Reply to
roger_for_nntp
Rodger is correct.. here are a few 'time savers"
if any number ends in five or zero ... all the numbers end in 5 or zero any odd numbers . all odd numbers any even numbers ... all even numbers
of course I may be crazy as a bed bug and just making this all up please feel free to chastise me , but leave my family and ancestors out of it please.:)
Reply to
Keyman55
Well, actually, I cant, since the lock in connected to the chain which is wrapped around my bike. And im not bringing in my bike to the living room. I was thinking of doing something like that, but then I got lazy and figured theres got to be a faster way...
roger_for snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:
Reply to
14kgary
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message ---snip---
then go out to the bike and do it. or, as I advised before, just cut the sucker off, get another $10 lock and be done with it.
my2¢
Reply to
Key
Don't fool around; just pry the back of the lock off with a good pair of side cutters. Last time I did this it took about five minutes. Go to your nearest supermarket, buy a replacement and remember the combination.
Reply to
Roger_Nickel
Easy pickings!
You can simply bypass the lock by using shims.
Cut two small pieces of tin from a pop can with a dremel tool. Long enough to fit around the latches, and slip them in to the lock. Bingo, lock pops open.
BTW, don't even think about getting a Kryptonite lock, all you need is a bic pen to open them!
Reply to
Lockie
You have nothing better to do- just try every combination
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 2264 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!
Reply to
Bill Halle

Site Timeline