94 Mustang changed ign. cyl., now what?

I just changed the Ign. lock cyl. on a 94 Mustang. I noticed the replacement cyl keys only have cuts at the tip, about 4 or 5 cuts. Is there a way to make this car a 1 key car again? Does the ign. only use the frt. half of the key and the doors and trunk the back half?

Reply to
85Camaro

Ignition uses spaces 1 through 6 Doors & Trunk use spaces 5 through 10 Spaces 5 & 6 are common cuts. If the cuts in spaces 5 & 6 are the same on your original key and the replacement keys-You are in luck.

If not, you can take the ignition cylinder to a locksmith and have it rekeyed.

If this ever happens again,(Fords that use 10-cut keys) go to a locksmith and show him/her your original key. They can measure the cuts and sell you a cylinder that will operate on the common cuts, keeping your car a one-key car.

Hope this helps. goma.

Reply to
goma865

Doors contain positions 1-6 and ignition is 5-10.

Dennis

goma865 wrote:

Reply to
Dennis

Doors contain positions 1-6 and ignition is 5-10.

Dennis

goma865 wrote:

Reply to
Dennis

oooops-Hell it's been a few months since I have worked on one.

Reply to
goma865

The other replies you have are sort of correct in that they describe the way the factory has it's original locks. On the replacement locks they have only 5 cuts in them rather than 6. This means that you are supposed to select one of 5 options that match that same cut as your original key, then you just have the locksmith cut the 5 other door cuts on the new ignition key and you are back to one key.

So it seems that you have a 1 in 5 chance that you got a compatible ignition to return to one key for your car. Take it to your local locksmith to see if you got lucky.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

FWIW... 2 things need mentioning..

the local FLAPS (auto supply places) AFAIK, ONLY have the lock with a 1 cut in the 6th place..never got anything else BUT that.. (ANOTHER FUNNY, as I repin a LOT of these, is they have the wafer in the 5th place, which is WRONG.. but the lock seems to work anyway..)

and you must either go to a locksmith, OR if you got a GOOD parts person at the dealer, that knows whats up, can order a lock pinned with the proper 6th cut already there, so you just have to have your 7-10 cuts and the 5th cut, copied to your lock.. dealer locks are REAL expensive tho.. USUALLY THO, its better getting a totally unpinned lock and cut new keys by code and pin as needed.. I have NEVER seen a 10 cut key from the 90's era that was not worn pretty bad..unless this was just recently done, but as far as a day to day used key, they wear.. last point is these are a tip stop, and the tip does wear out.. makes the ignition difficult to turn, adding to the usual problems with the 10 cuts.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me