'99 Gran Prix problem

Hi, Got a lost key call for '99 Gran Prix. Ran the VIN and got B131. Cut the key, but it doesn't work anything. Ran the VIN again through local dealer; same B131. The car has both windows all the way down. I pulled the trunk lock. Took it apart and read the wafers. It contained wafers

6-10. I asked my code software what the first five could be. It gave me two possibilities. I cut both. Both of the keys work the trunk,doors, and glove box, but won't turn the ignition. ???? The owner says the locks have never been changed. She has been using one key since she bought it new. She has a remote but no ignition killer to her knowledge. Any ideas?

Bill COUNTRY LOCKSMITH

Reply to
Bill Hupfeld

pull the shroud,,, see if there is a solenoid mounted to the OUTSIDE of the lock , white plastic... toward the dash, has a silver button looking thing on the bottom...

$39 to replace it...IF its there AND it went bad, lock wont turn... --Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

Don't worry about the solenoid Shiva talks about. That is only if the key doesn't turn off. Take about 1/16"-1/8" inch off the tip of the key. Put in the cylinder. Lubricate well. Tap the end of the key for several minutes to allow the wafers to settle in. You shouldn't have any trouble. But remove and repin if you get it to turn.

Reply to
Key Pro

just played with an S10 Thu,.... if the battery is dead, OR the solenoid is dead, it wont turn either way... if its OFF, you cant turn on, and if its ON, you cant turn off

drove the mechanic nuts till I got there...

this is cute... wreck, and you cant do ANYTHING with the ignition if it loses the battery... guaranteed to not allow the thing to be taken out of park...interesting the design engineer that thinks thats a 'safety factor'

--Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

Another possibility is your code software is incomplete. If you are using HPC you might have to ask under each of the code series and there are a lot of them.

This is where the A1 tools come in real handy. In the alternative check the price of a new ignition cylinder and if it is easier then fighting with the bugger drill it and replace it.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

a late followup...

the Chevy dealer 'thinks' the part # for the electric solenoid thats mounted on the ign lock is 26036474... suggest list is $55.24. if the battery IS dead, the fuse blown, OR the solenoid is bad, this lock will NOT turn TO lock from off, OR FROM lock TO on. THis applies to a LOT of vehicles in these couple of years. saw it also on an S10, among other things

--Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--