Removing lock cylinder for old Ford & Plymouth

I puchased an 85 Ford E350, 91 E250, and 92 Plymouth Voyager at an auction as parts without keys. However, all the cars seemed operational and I'd to get them started. What is the easiest way to remove the ignition lock cylinder? I was told I can just forced a big screw driver into the Ford lock cylinder and turn it....press the sidebar from the access hole, and the cylinder would come right out. However, I couldn't really see the sidebar via the access hole...maybe it's all the way up there?

With the Voyager, I took the door & hatch lock cylinder out to make a key for the ignition....only to find out the ignition lock is not original because the key doesn't work =(. How do I take the ignition lock cylinder out? Same as Ford? I don't see an access hole for side bar.Please help.

TIA!

Dave

Reply to
camg042

take a door lock out and take to locksmith and have key made.. I THINK the 85 will be the same-ign and door- BUT, read below FIRST..

the 91 requires a locksmith to come to you..IIRR, its a 10 cut and shares cuts, between the door and ign. neither lock has all the cuts..

ehh.. believe this is another case of 'sharing cuts'' doo has 'some', tail gate adds' A cut, and the ign the last needed cut.. so if you got the door/tail, it WILL NOT work the ign without further work..

your BEST bet is phone your neighborhood 'smith' and have him make a service call to you.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

All three locks need a key or need to be picked (to the on position for the fords and accesory position for the chrysler)) to be remover.

No. forcing it with a big screwdriver will not work. It will only screw up the lock making it much mor difficult for the locksmith the service.

Call a locksmith and have all the vehicles done at the same time so you only have to pay one trip charge.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

the local locksmith told me ford uses 10 cut keys pre 92 and has different keys for door and ignition. They are the one that told me if I provide the lock cylinder for the plymouth passenger door and hatch, the key should also work for the ignition. In my case, this made key does not insert into the lock cylinder. It seems to me the ignition lock cylinder was replaced sometime ago.....unless the locksmith needed to come up with different codes for the key. In regards to the screw driver forcing into the ford lock cylinder and turn it into on position, isn't this the same as using FORD Force entry tool sold on internet? I wouldn't mind calling the lock smith, but they wanted $350 to service all 3 cars....I have sink too much $$$ into these 3 cars so far =(

Reply to
camg042

If anybody could just force the lock, we'd have much more vehicle theft rates than we do.

These locks were specifically designed to resist that sort of attempt. Believe me, the manufacturer thought of that approach well before you did.

Sunsh> I puchased an 85 Ford E350, 91 E250, and 92 Plymouth Voyager at an

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

I wonder what is the 'pre-quel' to this story. Does it begin with a hotwire expert re-po man recovering cars without keys which are subsequently auctioned off?

I also wonder if there is a little cottage industry for locksmiths to buy and sell cars. Buy cars without keys and sell cars with keys, and maybe a little spiffing up with their partner the combination bodywork, general mechanic, and car salesman.

Or, maybe what we need is a jack-of-all-trades -- hotwire expert to car salesman with locksmithing sandwiched in the middle.

He'll have to be of good moral character, so he won't get into the midnight auto business.

I think I see a screenplay working into a movie deal here. Maybe we'll even sandwich in a book deal, like they did with Romancing the Stone.

Reply to
Mike Easter

the 89 IS a separate issue...yes..it can be the ign ONLY. or it can be same as the door..

They are the one that told me if

a 92 is a double sided key.. so is the 93 and so is the 94.. so, you may have something altered somewhere.. and again IIRR, NO lock on the Chryslers outside the ignition has ALL the cuts.. you should have a double sided key with 7 cuts on it.. EACH side.. if you got 6, then its not complete..

BUT.. if the key will not go in at all.. ehh... ignition locks are high..

It seems to me the ignition

my cost on the force tool is around a C note..

you are going to spend in my neck of the woolds over $100 in locks alone, plus whatever incidental damages you do..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I got a guy does that.. buys at auctions.. minor damage, fixes/repairs.. IS licensed by the state with a dealer tag.. and he hauls the cars by me to make keys for him..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

the cars were purchased legally at the storage auction. The previous owner owed so much money to the stroage so the cars were auctioned off. As I mentioned it was sold as parts, as is, no keys, and title. Because they seemed to be in good shape, I had it towned home and planning on fixing it up, get title, and resell them. I'd really like to keep my cost down at this time and don't want to spend $300 plus for the locksmith to service all 3 cars. Especially each lock cylinders can be purchased approx $20 with keys. Since I wouldn't mind replacing all the lock cylinders, I came across this tool (Ford Ignition Bypass Tool LT-78

which is just like a big flathead screw driver. Are you saying using this tool/screwdriver will destroy the area by the lock cylinder? Please help.

Dave

Reply to
camg042

That tool destroys the lock cylinder only. Is not supposed to harm the steering colum ( i know i misspelled it). Wayne

Reply to
wayne c

ok, so far-your words..

you got $60 for new locks... $60 for the tool plus?? shipping? UPS min about $10.

and STILL got 2 vehicles with NO keys.. (the locks are still in place)

and YET OBJECT to the $350.. oh well..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Been away for cars for a while. Had to go running for the books for the early 90s ones.

85 E350 and 91 E250 are 5 cut pin tumbler. Door and Ign are keyed different (two totally different blanks). They can be impressioned ususlly fairly easily. (But not always)

The 92 Ply uses 7 cut, wafer tumbler locks. One key should fit the enitre vehicle. Cuts 1-5 are in the driver and passenger doors. Cuts 3-7 are in the slider and rear hatch. Under normal conditions, having the cuts from both of those locks will give you all the cuts for the ignition (1-6). If the key won't go into the ignition, either something's wrong with the ignition (bent wafer from someone trying to force it) or the ignition has been replaced with an earlier pin tumbler version. (I think you can do that on a 92 but not positive)

Now... A "force tool" and a big screwdriver at to different things. Force tool will work. Screwdriver will just screw it up. (Pardon the pun)

Looking at your oppions...

Force tool $150. Two new ford Ign locks $25 each give or take from an auto parts store (much more from Ford dealer) That's $200 already just to do the two Ford ignitions.

The Voyager is not something that I recomend you messing with. If you screw up the switch module that the lock is mounted in... they ain't cheap.

And we haven't even started on the doors yet.

When you conside $350 is just a little over a hundred bucks a vehicle... Call a pro and be done with it.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

Reply to
wayne c

As the owner of a '91 Grand Marquis I can tell you that the key for the door operates the ignition; the only other key is for trunk and glove box. My '89 GM has different keys for door and ignition.

Reply to
clifto

According to Autosmart, 92 Ford E series vans still used pin tumbler locks.

93 is ten cut (with sidebar)

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

it was a 'running change'.. SOMETIME during the year, they switched..but that time depended on the particular plant/vehicle..

96 is another bad year, same thing..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I just wanted to thank those who gave me some help. Here is a little update to my situation:

I purchased replacement lock cylinders to plymouth and ford for a total of $46. Started with the Plymouth, I was able to remove the ingition lock cylinder with the ignition starter switch as a unit. I messed it around for half a day and couldn't get the lock cylinder out. I finally gave up and take it to my locksmith. Waited 2 days and spent $20 for the service (locksmith was extremely busy). Plymouth started right up with the new lock cylinder.

With one of the fords, I was too cheap to buy the forced tool. I used a big screwdriver and BFH and managed to get the wingnut cap and top portion of the lock cylinder off. On the first Ford, I spent a long time try to drill through the lock cylinder where the sidebar is. My aligment was off and and I ended up forcing the rest of the cylinder to turn by using the screwdriver again. I then was able to push the sidebar in...still had to struggle a bit to get the lock cylinder out. The second ford, I ended up drilling through the key hole, taking out broken pins...until I have enough access to fit a big screwdriver, turned it, pushed the sidebar, and then took the lock cylinder out....I had a hardtime installing the new lock cylinder on this one though (cheap pepboy part)

Dave

Reply to
camg042