Removing really old paint

Being newly retired I have been cleaning my basement and have come upon a number of built and half built models from as far back as the

1960's. Does anyone have suggestions about how old paint can be stripped from these?
Reply to
rickl454

oben cleaner, super clean, or brake fluid. super clean, ex-castrol's super clean is the safest indoors and has always worked for me. not as cheap as brake fluid but safer. about 8 bucks a gallon, so not horrible. oven cleaner is an ecological nightmare but effective.

Reply to
someone

I would use super clean it is the least bad as the other two. You can get it in the automotive section of wal-mart.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Refer to the sub section "Paints, Colour Charts, Mix Formulae & Strippers & How to spray F/Glass and ABS plastics" especially Paint Strippers for plastic models etc. on my web page

Reply to
A.T.

Thank you all for your replies!!!

Reply to
rickl454

Since when? It is pretty much the same as oven cleaner in terms of danger and ecological hazards. A very strong base.

FWIW, brake fluid is probably the safest of the three. You can get it on your skin with few ill effects. The other stuff will leave chemical burns if you're not careful.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; knows better)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger