Old servos

I had acquired some old servos from an auction a few weeks ago and do not know what system they are from. Can anyone provide me with some more information on them? It would be nice
to be able to use them in a project I am working on. Thanks
The only thing that is on them is: S-4B Clockwise LEFT AIL. LEFT AUD. LOWMOTER DOWN ELE.
On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 10:09:09 -0400, "Nicholas J. Hirsch"

Nick- Prolly Futabe S-48 vs S-4B. Very common and widely used. If they have the old G style connectors (wires exit plug body 90 degrees from the pins) you can cut them off and replace with the newer J type (or use adapters - Cermark sells them among others), and they will be almost universally compatible with newer Futaba Rx's and other brands. The center pulse width is a bit shorter than what has become the standard these days, 1.35 ms vs 1.5 ms, IIRC. No problem in most applications - it just means that when you center your controls mechanically, there will be a bit more full throw available in one direction than in the opposite direction.
Abel
On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 10:09:09 -0400, "Nicholas J. Hirsch"

I've got three of them in one of my planes, dont't remember which one! Changed the connectors and they work fine.

S4B was a Controlaire servo. If it has four wires, it definitely is Controlaire and will require a center tapped battery supply. Additionally, some of their servos where negative signal pulse which is not compatible with todays positive signal systems. These where made by World Engines in Cincinatti. If your project is a plane, use a newer servo.
The new Futaba 3004 is awfully hard to beat for price/performance.
I would tend to agree as I have about 5 of these old S4B servos along with an old World Engines 3 channel radio system to go with them. My father and I built them from kits back in the early 70's for an old Goldberg Falcon56. We could have built the radio too but went for the preassembled unit. I always thought MRC built them as their logo is all over the Tx and Rx. Probably MRC paid Controlaire to use their gear and put MRC's name on it. Happens all the time in the electronics business.
wrote:

not
nice