Dalton Lathes

To all Dalton owners and people interested in Dalton equipment. My
name is Dennis Turk and I own seven Dalton lathes, one lot 3 and six
lot 4 machines. The range of age is before 1914 and to after 1925. I
do not use the lathes as they are for restoration and display.
There is a group of Dalton owners that share pictures information and
in some cases replacement parts. There is I believe 13 people in this
group. We are known as just the Dalton Gang.:-) Two of the people
live in England, as it seems Daltons ended up over there also.
There are no multi function machines in the group. The group is
comprised of one lot 2 lathe two lot 3 lathes sixteen lot 4 lathes and
one lot 6. The lot number is just in front of your serial number and
denotes the model. B-4 or B-6.
Not all lathes especially the early ones have model tags on them only
a lot #. We keep a record of all Lot and Serial numbers and this way
we can gestimate the approximate age or year of build for the lathes.
In this group there is also one very original peddle or foot powered
lathe that has the hand lever on the tailstock. Really interesting
machine. Devil to run though.
I would be interested in communicating with anyone that owns a Dalton
lathe for the purpose of tracking serial numbers and helping others
with problems with their lathes. There are a very small number of
replacement parts available. These are used but serviceable.
In some of the postings there was a question as to the age of Dalton
tool works. We know that Herbert Dalton started the company some time
before 1912 and it failed in the stock market crash of 1929. In 1930
Elecrolux purchased the property and built vacuum cleaners there
Thanks and I hope to hear form all Dalton owners.
Reply to
Dennis Turk
I have a dalton lathe that needs professional attention. It is missing
tooth from the back gear and the large gear on the spindle. I do no need that reduction gearing to function. I do need help with th selection of a new chuck. I have quite a few spare parts I don't nee for my use. I will only be turning wood and plastic on it via direc drive from the leather belt. I don't see the model or serial # info yo are looking for. I may part this out or sell whole if I can't use it fo my needs. I can be reached at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.commmm, remove extra m's.Dennis Turk Wrote:
-- Ed Rannou
Reply to
Ed Rannou
The lathe now belongs to Dennis Turk. Please contact him for info. Thanks to all who contacted me
-- Ed Rannou
Reply to
Ed Rannou
Hi, I have a Dalton Lathe and would be interested if you have any photo
of a lot 4 lathe. I am renovating the lathe and would appreciate finding ou if any parts are missing, and the arrangement options of the cogs etc.
Dennis Turk Wrote:
-- Bunny
Reply to
Bunny
[...]
Hi Dennis Need your email steve from florida a friend of mine Milton Burnett found a dalton lathe you may be interested in. His contact info is Suppo32@homes c.com Steve from Florida
Reply to
steve1232us
[...]
Hello, I just purchased a Dalton lathe, but don't know what model it is. C an I post a photo somewhere? Thanks.
Reply to
mplieb1
[snip Dennis Turk 2003 post re Dalton lathe S/N's etc]
The metalworking dropbox accepts photos emailed to it. See instructions at and see uploaded files at . If you upload some pictures, wait and get the dropbox's reply that tells you the picture URL's before announcing the upload, so you can include them in future posts..
Reply to
James Waldby
dennisyesterday sunday 2/16/2014 i bought a dalton lot 4 lathe. says lot 4 on end of bed left on the rig ht says #4065. on the gear cover says model b. change gears are held on with pins... the lathe is nice and tight i have it reassembled (h it had to carry it down the steps it is covered with saw dust , it looks cared for and i will clean it off ,oil it and run it later to day.. tony z
Reply to
memorabowls
Hi all, just purchased a good looking Dalton Six, Lot4 # 2304. Any idea what year it was manufactured? Thanks. Vadim NYC
Reply to
zeefly
I recently obtained a Dalton lathe. It is in realitive excelent condition. I am trying to identify it as to the age and model. It apears to be a 3 1/ 2" by about 11"to 12" center to center bed. It looks very much like the 19 18 B2 from California that I have seen on the web. On the gear change cove r it list the type as Type "B" and made in New York. There is no identifin g name on the side of the Bed, The both feet have Dalton made in New York c ast into them also in the carage front. there is a small name plate on the front side of the gear cover about 2" by 2" with what apears to be paten in formation on it it is very hard to read cant tell if it has a serial no. A s I said before the machine is in excelent condition and apears to be all o riginal. I know where it has bee for the past 20 or so years. It was used by a friend of mine for a few years prior to that. Phil, Vicksburg MS.
Reply to
drpotter2807
ight says #4065. on the gear cover says model b. change gears ar e held on with pins... the lathe is nice and tight i have it reassembled (h it had to carry it down the steps it is covered with saw dust , it loo ks cared for and i will clean it off ,oil it and run it later to day..
I also just obtained a Dalton lathe, lot 4 #4004 built not too long before your #4065 I think. Philip
Reply to
drpotter2807
I have a Dalton Six B4, I am looking for documentation, Manual and a picture(s) of a complete original lathe. I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to restore to an original condition or modify it to a modern power plant condition, using a dirrect dc drive w/ a riding lawn mower transmission. I have other working lathes. Any ignorance anyone wishes to cure please act.
Reply to
stephenjohnson333
So is this group inactive?? There appear to be no replies from anyone in the group to new members? I have a dalton lot 5 and am looking for some tooling.
Thanks
Reply to
glenn.brooks43
Which "this" group, r.c.m. or the Yahoo one? Several of us in r.c.m. pointed to the Yahoo group and lathes.co.uk.
My Usenet server has been responding slowly and erratically.
-jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Dalton is not a common lathe, to my knowledge, and I suspect that there is just not anyone here (RCM) that has anything to offer.
A search of RCM in Google Groups for "Dalton lathe" returns 59 hits, most more than 10 years old. Out of 100's of 1000's of RCM posts.
Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt
You are apparently reading this in googlegroups, but is is really a reflection of the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking, and certainly the main users in usenet have no way of knowing about "new members". I don't know whether the googlegroups members have such a way, and whether it works only on the groups which are not mirrors of usenet newsgroups.
I can be of no help there.
Good Luck, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
Hello Dennis, today I bought a lathe that I believe you looked at. It was in the corner at the cabin Fever Expo. I understand you looked it over. I intend to clean it up and display it. What can you tell me? Thanks Peter. snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Reply to
gullnut48
Hello, I have a dalton Lot 4 Type"B" #4336 Lathe and I am trying to get some information on it. please respond. Missing auto feed gear i believe.
Reply to
miller.kyle199
Hi all. Mark here in the UK. I recently bought a Dalton Lot 4 # 747 (cool # !). Does anyone know where to get further information on the lathe. I'd lov e to be able to use it to make the missing items from the changeover gear s et. It's my first lathe. Am I aiming too high? Kind regards...
Reply to
nangidkram
There used to be a yahoo? group for Dalton lathes -
And there was a discussion regarding "change Gears".
Reply to
John B.