Dalton Lathes

replying to Dennis Turk, john333 wrote: Hello, I just picked up a 1922 lot 4 dalton, how do you get all the sludge and rust removed ? i hope this gets out there as i am new to metal working Thanks..

Reply to
john333

You could try oven cleaner, or lye, to start.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I just aquired a dalton lot4 serial4092 trying to take apart tailstock because shaft crank handle is bent.want to know was is the best way to attack tearing it apart

Reply to
bifuaus774

Just purchased Dalton lathe lot #5 No 248. The lathe is missing most of the gears for the lead screw. Is there a source for these gears or if not, perhaps drawings and list gears/numbers of teeth.

Thanking you in advance.

Colin Campbell

Reply to
colin

I just found a Dalton, short bed, and has a box of change gears etc. It ha s been exposed for a few years but as I do restoration on machines, this sh ould be a doable restoration. I am going to have it in my shop in a few da ys but I believe if is missing the gear cover (the hinged housing) and from pctures on the internet, there is also a pulley cover missing. I am sorry that do not know the names of all the parts yet. How unobtainable are thes e covers as I would like to make it complete if at all possible. I will po st a serial number once I have the lathe on my bench and can locate it or a ny other identifying features. I am excited!

Reply to
mccullough.adrian

I realize now that there are several gears missing. i have a double gear at the top which mates to the spindle plus a 48 tooth and a 96 tooth.

Reply to
colin

replying to Dennis Turk, WubWub wrote: Hi Dennis. I might be England's number three! I have a Dalton lathe no. 747 as I remember it. Think it is a B4. I stored it away, but got it out the other day to clean and sell it. After assembling it and cleaning it, I knew that I could not sell it and that I need to finish what I started and to make the change gears that it lacked (I bought a Clarke CLM500M and a Vertex Dividing Head from a friend just to do that). Anyway, send me an email and I'll pop some pictures to you. I imagine that it's nearly all there. I'm not 100% sure on the setup, although I did have it running long enough to make two brass spinners!

Reply to
WubWub

Dennis, I would like to get in touch with you regarding my Dalton. I saved it from the scrapper, but I am fully committed to bringing it back. I would like to learn more about parts, potential parts machines or ideas. I thank you kindly,Adrian

415 418-9112
Reply to
mccullough.adrian

replying to Dennis Turk, Matt wrote: My son is restoring a Dalton lathe for his engineering for his HS project. He will need some help identifying it. It doesn?t appear to have a visible serial number, just patent plates etc on front and side. Shows patent number and 1922 as last patent listed. Engine actually works, most parts are there. Trying to identify and run down owners manual etc. He hopes to restore it by end of this school year for a Maker?s Fair exhibit. Can you help out?

Reply to
Matt

replying to Dennis Turk, Matt wrote: My son is restoring a Dalton lathe for his engineering for his HS project. He will need some help identifying it. It doesn?t appear to have a visible serial number, just patent plates etc on front and side. Shows patent number and 1922 as last patent listed. Engine actually works, most parts are there. Trying to identify and run down owners manual etc. He hopes to restore it by end of this school year for a Maker?s Fair exhibit. Can you help out?

Reply to
Matt

I just acquired a Dalton from my father. I believe he acquired it from a local school.

It's a short lot 5, I think the s/n is 275 but I will confirm.

Has a roughly made table and a couple of pails of parts.

Some light rust and it's obviously not been used in awhile. Unfortunately the gear cover and part of the end support were broken and then crudely welded. I'll have to see what I can do to make them more presentable.

I have a small Chinese lathe in running condition, so I plan on taking the Dalton apart and basically rebuilding it. Dalton has a slightly larger swing and longer ways and I suspect it will be a better machine once I get it running again.

Curious if there's any information on what colors these originally came in. Mine's covered in sloppy grey paint but I suspect it's been repainted numerous times.

I'm a little sore from moving this thing by myself and I have a stack of other projects pending, but I hope to make the Dalton a winter project.

Reply to
chris.kucia

replying to Dennis Turk, Roger wrote: I have a Dalton lathe with a 4 " 3 jaw chuck made by The D.E. Whiton Co. New London Con. The jaws are marked; AK1, AK2, AK3. The # 3 jaw has several teeth missing. Is there a way to repair the jaw or replace it?

Reply to
Roger

Reply to
roketray

Reply to
roketray

Reply to
rtlawrence272

replying to Dennis Turk, Roger wrote: I have a Dalton Lathe 6 with a 3 jaw chuck marked "The D.E. Whiton Co." The number 3 Jaw has three teeth missing. Where might i get a replacement jaw? ( Chuck is 4" dia. )

Reply to
Roger
Re: Dalton Lathes open original image

replying to turnern67, ggloor wrote: Hi Nigel, On Daltons the model number is usually stamped on the right hand end of the ways.

I would like to see any pictures you have: snipped-for-privacy@chesilton.com

ggloor

Hello i have a Dalton nine x four and im looking for the end gear cover and top gear covers

Reply to
rgmoore1954

I just un packed my fathers dalton lathe after 11 years in storage. All cleaned up . A few minor repairs. I have tones of tooling with it . And gear sets etc.

9x3 . Where is the serial number normally located? Also I need instruction about how to use the gears etc and thread cut.

It has two drives. One threaded , one slotted. There is a thread counter/ index my father made. As a kid I remember using this lathe and cutting threads using the counter. But I can’t remember enough... are manuals available?

Reply to
arurry
9x3 . Where is the serial number normally located? Also I need instruction about how to use the gears etc and thread cut.

It has two drives. One threaded , one slotted. There is a thread counter/ index my father made. As a kid I remember using this lathe and cutting threads using the counter. But I can't remember enough... are manuals available?

In general, if the spindle and leadscrew are geared together 1:1 the lathe cuts the same pitch as the leadscrew. For other pitches you need gear ratios the same as the pitch ratios. For example to cut 16 TPI with an 8 TPI leadscrew the leadscrew has to be reduced to 1/2 of spindle speed. Gears can't have too few teeth, so the gear for 13 TPI has 13 * 4 = 54 teeth and would be matched with 8 * 4 = 32 teeth.

A spreadsheet can be useful if you are reconstructing the gear train ratios.

The thread counter dial on my South Bend allows disengaging the half nuts to move the carriage quickly back to the thread start, without stopping the lathe. It's not really necessary, you can back out the bit and reverse the lathe instead.

The 1942 edition of "How to Run a Lathe" may be better than newer editions for a lathe from the 1920's: My 1965 South Bend preserves many relics of that age such as the option for overhead leather belt drive.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins