Jim Turner Ignitors

What were they called? The name escapes me, and I'm passing on a couple to another flyer...

Reply to
AZ Woody

"Fire in the Hole"... It came back to me... Must have been a senior moment!

Reply to
AZ Woody

Still have about 6 of them left. Best damn apcp cluster ignitor I've ever used. They made a nice pair coupled with the RV ROL 24mm auction a few years ago. Lost count on how many perfect flights with those F32's and G55's.

Anyone know what the bridge wire Jim used? I remember test firing 3 of those ignitors instantly with a standard 9v battery.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

I've got maybe 10 left. A guy called me tonight with questions about a cert flight (I won't be there), and it was a long standing tradition in a club that I was in that you'd use a "fire-in-the-hole" for a cert, as there was never a question that it would start the motor. (usually someone gave you one...)

Anyway, dropping off a couple off tomorrow...

Got my last ones from Jim right before my L3, and need I say, it lit before my finger knew it had pushed the button! (Jim was gone by the time I used it...)

For clusters, They were the only way to go.... There was this little thing with a rocket called the "BDR" and someone used standard AT igniters, but that's a long story....... (well not that long, only one motor lit.... It was a long walk to recover!))

BTW, IIRC, Jim told me at one time that they'd fire from a 1.5v AA battery, but never tried it.... He had a couple of versions, including a couple different bridge wire types....

G55 - must have been a Machbuster! (I still have >

Reply to
AZ Woody

Now that ther's no longer a source for them, some one should dissect one and see what it's made of. Tat way his technology can live on after he's gone.

Bob Kaplow

Good Idea Bob, how about it AZ Woody? pics? dimensions? pyrogen? construction details?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Thermite is the better way for igniting larger motors....

JD

Reply to
JDcluster

Yes I still think about this and it is sad. I got my order delivered pretty much at the same time I heard he passed. I may have one or two left. He was great in emailing and making sure my order was satisfied. So that was about all I knew of him. But he was a great person for keeping his customers happy. It would be great if someone would keep the legend alive.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

I will gladly donate one or two for dissention, but it's not only how it's wired, it's what the chems are. I'd have no way of saying anything more than "it's brown stuff that burns fast and hot"...

Reply to
AZ Woody

Actually IIRC correctly Jim told me his pyrogen he used was just flash(black?) powder mixed with nitrocellulose(sic?). The JT ignitors I have left are the smaller 24/29mm stuff and as near as I can tell thats what it appears to be.

The real secret to the JT ignitors was the bridge wire. IIRC Jim told me they were a pain to solder up.

Don't remember where I heard it but someone once told me the Quickburst ignitor was a good replacement for the JT works of art.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

The ones I got left are for 38/54's.

I also recall that he'd "tweak" them based on what you were flying. IIRC, he said that the really hot ones had a tungsten bridge wire (tungsten is harder to solder than nichrome!). Whenever I'd call Jim, I had this vision of him at the kitchen table making igniters while his wife was knitting a sweater in a nearby chair, or in the kitchen canning peaches, and they were both watching TV....(probably TCM or TVLand!)

It would be interesting if someone could xray one and see how he hooked up the bridge wire! Also, From what I've seen, the pyrogen probably isn't that simple... For different sizes, IIRC, they don't all look the same (color and texture)

Reply to
AZ Woody

Nobody will every replace Jim Turner...

Quickburst ignitors are excellent. I have almost abandoned making my own Ignitorman ones. I've used them on everything from F motors all the way up to M motors. They work.

He sells other stuff too, all with great service. And since David is a local vendor and supports many of the Texas launches, I feel even better supporting him.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Close. Jim would sit in a La-Z-Boy in his family room with his wire wrapping tool and pyrogen on the end table, stripping, wrapping and dipping the ignitors.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

How do the Quickburst ignitors compare with JT on current requirements? I'm looking for a good ignitor for small composites(24/29mm).

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d