ROL NEWS--RCS 98mm Casting Tube Available

RCS 98mm Casting Tube Available April 6, 2005 Web posted at: 1:34 PM EDT

Cedar City, UT (ROL Newswire) -- A new casting tube, RCS part no.

03184L, has been added to the RCS order form. This tube is 3.370" O.D. X 3.270" I.D. X 48" long, and is intended for use with phenolic liner part no. 03040L in 98mm motors. Previously, this casting tube diameter was only available from RCS in 6" lengths for BATES-style segmented grains. The longer tube will allow for propellant casting in star, finocyl, moonburning and other extended-length grain geometries. The tube is in stock and is available immediately. A new order form dated 4-7-05 may be downloaded from the "Products" and "Contact" pages of the RCS website at

Source: RCS Rocket Motor Components (RCS), Inc.

Reply to
ROL News

Does it have a Bar Code?

Reply to
Phil Stein

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Phil Stein at snipped-for-privacy@ArielSystems.spamsks.net wrote on 4/7/05 4:04 PM:

That will be covered in a separate press release.

Gary/RCS

Reply to
Gary C. Rosenfield

If you have a press release about the guage of your bags or clamshells it will get a lot of attention, especially at ROL and rmr :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Think you can combine the thickness of the packaging press release along with the one for the bar code? That would make it easier to keep up with my reading. 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

Actually, if you ever looked into the cost of having a UPC issued by the governing body that does so, one could understand quickly why Sunward Aerospace would send out a press release. Whilst designing some packaging for a vocal member of this forum, (who has cracked wise on this very issue, I might add) one of the points mentioned was to leave a spot for the UPC code. Curious about what that might entail, I found the place to get this information and found that if said person would be selling, say, 1000 units of each model kit, he would need to pay about $800 per year per UPC for each individual model. Example: 10 different kits in his line is $8000... sell packaged parts, say 5 sizes of tubes, and 6 different sizes of centering rings would be another $8800. You're looking at over $16,000 for the right to be carried an any major store in the country. That's a major chunk o'change.

Al

Reply to
Alan Tuskes

packaging

centering

Man, that's insane! It ought to be just a small one-time charge.

=BF

Reply to
raydunakin

Don't you jst love "business"?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It ought to be model aircraft parts if you have the government issued papers to show exclusion from Class 1.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You seem to be quite defensive about this. Please understand however, that a press release about adding UPC codes was simply noise to most folks - kind of like changing the thickness of the plastic bag used to package the kit!

This may have taken work and funds on your part, and you were glad it was complete, but to the general consumer, means nothing! To me, when I buy something, do I care if there's a barcode that can be scanned, or the clerk has got to read the price off a sticker! It's one second one way, and 1.5 seconds the other!

If you think that the UPC press release was important, I'm sorry, but you best get a better grasp on what your customers think is important!

You're best marketing right now would probably be to just sit back and chuckle when the whole press release is mentioned!

Reply to
AZ Woody

There are about 50 other things about making a viable product that are just as necessary, unheralded, and expensive - or MORE so.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Any papers you may have are worthless if they're aren't acceptable to DOT.

Reply to
raydunakin

Reply to
Phil Stein

AZ,

Boy, yer just not reading my entire post! Please read and see if you can wrap your brain around these words....

1 - I didn't post the initial news release on ROL about putting UPC's on packaging, nor was I getting UPC's for my own line of kits.

2 - I was designing packaging for somebody else on this forum.

3 - This other person said "leave room on end flap for UPC.

4 - Looked into what is involved in getting UPC for said packaging on my own, out of curiosity.

5 - Was shocked and stunned at outlay of money involved.

6 - Have gained appreciation for, and could understand why, Sunward would feel that this is newsworthy, as most small manufacturers would find this to be a considerable outlay of money to be seen as a "legitimate" company.

That's all. Nothing more. A comment.

Twit!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Tuskes

Woody,

To a retailer, the UPC code IS important. (And to a kit maker, a retailer is a very important customer.)

Agreed.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Don't you?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

That sounds quite reasonable.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You're forgetting the other side of the operation. Any non coded product has to be stickered when it's placed on the skelf, or perhaps unpacked, stickered, and repacked when recieved in the warehouse. But someone has to look up th eprice in the price book, and print the stickets before this can happen. Then it might have to be restickered if the price changes or goes on sale. Maybe more than once. And if some stickers are accidentally mis-printed you give away an item for less than it cost you, or rip off your customers. Or if an item shows up at the register without a sticker, the world comes to a stop for 5 minutes while someone goes to the shelf to find another to see what the price is. Or has to find the manager to get the price book out of the save to look up the price. Then there is the possibility for the cashier to mis-read or mis-key the price. And with bar codes, you know EXACTLY what you sold, when you sold it, for inventory tracking and reorder purposes. So the cost of not having a bar code on the product is a LOT higher than the extra second it takes at the register. But that's all YOU see.

Many (most) stores these days simply won't sell packaged products that aren't bar coded. TRU implemented this policy back in the 80s. I'm still surprised that an operation the size of Hobby Lobby tags all their product, and manually enters prices instead of scanning them. I can't think of a single other national or regional store that hasn't implemented scanning. Even most of the independent stores, from hobby shops on up, scan rather than keying in prices.

Bob Kaplow