ROL NEWS--AeroTech to Re-release Long-Burn 54mm Reload Kits

AeroTech to Re-release Long-Burn 54mm Reload Kits June 29, 2004 Web posted at: 7:07 PM EDT

Cedar City, UT (ROL Newswire) -- The AeroTech division of RCS Rocket Motor Components (RCS), Inc. is pleased to announce that it will soon be re-releasing its 54mm long-burn Reloadable Motor System (RMS) reload kits, which have not been manufactured since October 2001. These kits were extremely popular with high-power fliers due to their long burn times and their ability to be used in rockets of light weight construction and as upper stages. AeroTech expects that production and shipment of these reloads to its dealers will begin by the end of July.

Time-thrust curves for these reloads can be viewed on the Tripoli Rocketry Association website at:

These motors use a variation of the "Moonburning" offset-core grain geometry invented by Bill Wood in the early '80's. AeroTech's version employs a rectangular slot offset to one side of the propellant grain to achieve the extended burn time characteristic of the Moonburner design.

While the J180T uses the conventional 54mm RMS propellant grain diameter and phenolic liner, the J90W, J135W and K185W reloads utilize a slightly smaller propellant grain, outer phenolic liner and an inner paper liner to protect the casing from the extended exposure to hot combustion gases.

Suggested retail prices for these reload kits will be comparable to the prices of other AeroTech reloads that fit the same RMS hardware specifications. Extended length 54mm forward closures must be used with the White Lightning reloads to accommodate the longer delay columns that are necessary for these motors.

Source: RCS Rocket Motor Components (RCS), Inc.

Reply to
ROL News

So do you enter them into the ATF system unnecessarily (27 CFR

555.141-a-8) at the point of initial distribution??

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Woohoo!!! I'm really looking forward to these motors!

Reply to
RayDunakin

Hey, I'm glad to see you finally seeking advice from some real motor manufacturers! Maybe you'll learn enough that someday you too will be able to commercially produce certified motors. ;)

Reply to
RayDunakin

I would like to receive a real answer so I can "learn".

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Be sure to ask other manufacturers too. There are quite a few of them these days.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Loki Research will be demonstrating its 54mm moon burning loads at LDRS this week. If you'd like to fly a 1110J222 stop by and see us there!

- Jeff Taylor Loki Research

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

Hello Jeff,

The J222 part makes sense... What's the 1110 prefix mean?

Just curious, Andy

Reply to
Andy Eng
1110 NS

Reply to
Bullpup

It is the ILP method of nomenclature

Total Impulse Letter class Average thrust Delay time Propellant style

1110 J 220 - 8 FU

Sometimes preceeded by manufacturer and diameter.

LR 54mm 1110 J 220 - 8 FU

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Total impulse.

Good seeing you at NSL. Maybe next time we'll get to visit a little longer (ie, exchange views over a cold one :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

What propellent type is "FU"?