[Planet News] AeroTech Statement on New ATF Regulations Effective October 10, 2006

AeroTech Information Release Dated: 10/3/06

CEDAR CITY, Utah USA -- On October 10, 2006 new regulations promulgated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) will take effect. The new rules limit the propellant weight of rocket motors and reload kits that are permitted to be sold without federal licensing and storage requirements. On that date only those rocket motors "containing no more than 62.5 grams of total propellant weight, and designed as single-use motors or as reload kits capable of reloading no more than 62.5 grams of propellant into a reusable motor casing" will be exempt. A copy of the ATF final rule may be downloaded in PDF format from the AeroTech website.

The bottom line for AeroTech consumers and dealers is that all rocket motors and reload kits containing more than 62.5 grams assembled propellant weight may not be sold to anyone who does not possess an ATF explosive permit or license. This includes all AeroTech "Easy Access" and "Restricted Access" reloads as well as the G33J reload kit for the RMS-29/40-120 motor. In addition, AeroTech/RCS will no longer be permitted to sell these products to dealers who do not possess the necessary ATF dealer license.

As you may be aware, the ATF was sued by the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) and the Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRA) in February of

2000, challenging, among other issues, the ATF's authority to regulate Ammonium Perchlorate composite propellant (APCP). A hearing is currently scheduled for October 17, 2006 (one week after the new regulations take effect) to decide the final outcome of this litigation.

It is possible that on that date U.S. District Court Judge Reggie Walton (D.C.) will vacate the ATF's decision to regulate APCP. This would render the ATF's regulations no longer applicable to purchases of APCP motors and reload kits of any size. Should that occur, AeroTech will issue another communication to its customers and dealers explaining the judge's decision and its ramifications.

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace is a division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc., Cedar City, UT.

Reply to
Planet News

This will really screw Aerotech and other engine dealers. Time to do alot of praying although I don't know where this is going.

Reply to
Kurt

I still can't believe that our respective organizations, and our very expensive legal team weren't in court on 12-August asking for an injunction against this rule until the legal case that has dragged on for years has been settled. The inaction borders on malpractice.

What were they thinking?

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

according to Mark Bundick over on NARSections, we have 6 years to file suit against ATF on the 62.5g limit.... If on oct 17 APCP is declared a non-explosive, the 62.5 g limit for APCP rocket motors becomes moot....thats if we win....

BP and other "low explosives" rocket motors would still be restricted to the

62.5 g limit....

and is Oct 17 really the final final date? If the ATF loses, can/will they appeal? Will they get an injunction? if we lose can/will we appeal? as the stomach turns...... the plot thickens.....

terry dean

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Reply to
Alex Mericas

What is NARSections, and can any NAR member access it? Larry Lobdell Jr. NAR 58331 SR

Reply to
Larry Lobdell Jr.

They're thinking that will be irrelevant after 10/17 so why bother.

Reply to
Phil Stein

It's a Yahoo Group for NAR Section officers.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Now who made that claim?

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

It is not just 7 days, so why bother? It is the principle of the thing. Even if it were only one day, that still forces many sport rocketeers to deplete their stocks of affected motors and grains, or to purchase a LUEP and storage if they are so lucky to be able to obtain one. An induction SHOULD be obtained, until the issues are fully resolved in court.

Reply to
Alan Jones

I'd prefer an injunction...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Has it been said anywhere that on 10/17 a ruling WILL be announced? Not here or ROL, or other forums newsgroups by "Internet lawyers", but I mean by NAR, TRA and the legal team?

All I can see, it's just another "status" hearing, and while a ruling might occur, it could also be another "non event" as far as a ruling.

Reply to
AZ Woody

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Reply to
Alex Mericas

I'm about as worried about the principle as our leadership is. If you have the spare change, maybe you fund a suit over prinicples. After you're done with that, get and induction and after that, get an injunction.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

It hasn't been said for ceretain but they are hoping. They've also said there's a good chance that there won't be. This hearing on 10/17 is when ATF is supposed to have their data showing APCP should be classified as an explosive.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

Either way, I can't find fault with them waiting a week to see how things turn out and then go from there.

Someone else with a big legal budget said - it's the principle. My priniciples have waited this long. A little more time won't hurt.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

Who says we'll even get a ruling on 17-Oct? The JBGTs will drag this along for several years if necessary. meanwhile the motors that we've used for L1 and L2 to get people INTO the hobby will be unavailable in 4 days. The hobby as we know it may be dead by the time the judge finally issues a favorable ruling in the case.

That's why we need an injunction NOW. THE JBGTs have nothing to lose and everything to gain by dragging this case on forever. Get an injunction now, and thye lose that advantage.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

What would you base your injunction on? Illegal or improper rule making? Doubt that will work. Likelyhood we'll win on the remaining counts? Perhaps, but you have to show why an injunction is so critical that it can't wait until the next schedule hearing - 10 days later. Irreparable harm? Why now? Why more than in May 2003? The ATF has claimed all along that they consider the 62.5g limit valid. They've also said it is possible for non-permit holders to participate in flights. And how is this different from the LAST time we asked for an injunction with the VERY SAME Judge on the VERY SAME issue? Well for one, the ATF now has completed their rule making process.

The > >> and is Oct 17 really the final final date? If the ATF loses,

Reply to
Alex Mericas

I agree this isn't good, but all the dealers I know of have been acting for the past 1-2 years like Easy Access is gone already. So this really only affects your personal stash.

Reply to
David