OT: What is RIGHT With America?

I am horrified by the recent incident in Lancaster County, PA. And I also wonder how things could have gotten so bad. But are they
necessarily getting worse?
Folks, we've had four presidents assasinated, all prior to 1963. We've also had eight unsuccessful assassination attempts, three of which happened before 1933.
Does anybody remember the guy in the Texas tower?
I'm old enough to remember the Cuban Missile Crisis. We were all taught to duck under our desks if the air raid warning sounded. And we all realized that it would not really have been much protection from nuclear weapons.
Anybody remember fallout shelters? How about CONELRAD?
I also remember my mother bundling myself and my little sister and dragging us in the middle of the winter to get innoculated with that new miracle medicine, Salk vaccine. Just about every family we knew had at least one person touched by polio.
Both my mother and my father had siblings who died in childhood. This was not uncommon prior to the 1950's.
My home was quarantined when I came down with Scarlet Fever back in 1956. Do you know of any homes that have been quarantined lately?
Things are not getting worse. We have never had it better. We live in an age where child mortality is not just part of everyday life, but a rare and unacceptable event. We live in an age where cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and an ever-growing list of maladies are not an automatic death sentance. And we live in an age where events like the tragedy in Lancaster County cannot get swept under the rug, but are exposed to the unwavering light of public scrutiny.
It is estimated that there are about 2 million people residing in America illegally. If this is such a bad place, why do so many people risk imprisonment or worse to get here?
Bill Sullivan Proud and grateful to be an American today and in the future.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

I guess it depends on what you mean by "things". Yes, people are healthier. 100 years ago it wasn't neccesary to sweep things under the rug, as there was no such thing as 24 hour news channels desperate for ratings grabbing programming.
Other "things", however, are dying a withering death. Respect, accountability, responsibility, etc. are all becoming scarce, and you will never convince me it's for the better.
--
Tweak

Perhaps you might deign to enlighten the rest of us?
--
Tweak

Nope, not wasting my time trying to clue in the clueless...
says...

Andrew Grippo wrote:

I may be a "clueless" and "godless" liberal, but at least I love my country.
snipped-for-privacy@attbi.com says...

Ahhh, I dare complain so I don't love my country?
How about instead: I do love my country, and am willing to speak out about it's ills, vote with my conscience, and work to make it better as opposed to being just another of the sheeple. Blind cheerleading is not patriotism, it's intellectual laziness at it's finest. Talk about the clueless...
--
Tweak

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 08:27:44 -0400, Tweak

I love when people have so little to support their opinion that they have to say at least they love their country and because the other person doesn't agree, he doesn't.
WHat are you guys debating anyway? 8-)
Phil
snipped-for-privacy@ArielSystems.spamsks.net says...

The colonic benefits of green tea as opposed to expresso. I think.
--
Tweak

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 08:18:10 -0400, Tweak

Steve Decker is an expert on those regions of the body - if you can catch him during those brief times when he doesn't have any of his toys or his head up there.
Phil
Phil Stein wrote:

You just never get enough punishment, do you?
Yet another flame war?
Why not?
Get Cletus warmed up.

Who takes punishment when a little ass with a big keyboard shows their stupidity? I pity you - when I'm not laughing at your ignorance.
Phil
Phil Stein wrote:

I find myself wondering if your neighbors in Cheltenham know what you do in your basement.
Besides buggering little Ariel, that is.
Gus wrote:

Well, we can give one answer to those who ask how our kids learn that bullying, fighting, and name calling are appropriate means.
They learn it by example.
--

Gary

Thankfully poor Steve doesn't have any kids. I hope he gets help before he hurts himself or someone else. I think the nut case that killed the kids in that school might have a lot in common with Steve.
Phil
Gary wrote:

You obviously don't know Phil. Or Jack.

I don't know who Jack is but anyway, it sounds like you think we should be thanking you for doing the world a favor. How sick is that?
Phil

Poor Steve.
Phil Stein wrote:

yEP. pOOR ME.
i cAN'T CONTROL MY CAPS LOCK, EITHER....
Tweak wrote:

So if I drink enough green tea, will my a$$hole grow back?
(That's a little ostomate humor.)
Bill Sullivan
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

So many possibilities...lessee.
1) I didn't know Jerry was attached to you in the first place.
2) Doubtful, I think you dropped it in RMR and now it's a needle in a haystack.
3) Ostomate has no entry on Wikipedia, which is usually good for at least one or two gags. Inconceivable!
--
Tweak