motors for low-altitude multi-staging

After many years out of model rocketry, I'd like to jump back in with a 2-stage model, probably the Semroc Firefly. I never tried staging
before, so this would be a nice variety. (Of course, I'd fly the upper stage alone, first.)
My first couple of looks at on-line dealers didn't show any first-stage motors smaller than B6-0. I'm planning to use a fairly small field, so I'm actually interested in the LOWEST possible flight, with staging just a curiosity. Back in the day, I know you could get A8-0 and 1/2A something-0. For such a small model, I was thinking an A8-0 and 1/2A upper stage (around 5 second delay) would be adequate. Is that crazy? Are these things no longer available?

1/2A boosters are pretty scarce. I've scavenged only a few packs in nearly 7 years of BAR'dom.
A boosters are still possible, in the form of the mini or T motors - 45mm long by 13mm dia. The A10-0T can be found here: http://www.launchpad2000.com/modrocen-miniengines1.html
Using spent motor casings, they can be easily adapted to 18mm diamters and standard 70mm lengths ala your A8-0.
I have a good stash of these I've hoarded over the past few years. They get used in rockets that need 18x70 and 18x45 boosters as well as in genuine mini-motor applications such as clones of the old Estes Mini Brutes.
HTH. Doug

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

They are indeed no longer available. In fact, the Estes B6-0 was recently discontinued and is hard to find. The Estes A10-0, a 13mm motor, was produced up to a few years ago and you might be able to find a few for sale (good luck). It is no longer certified by the NAR.
Quest supposedly makes a B6-0 but I haven't seen it for sale by dealers. Check with Quest directly.
--
Steve Humphrey
(replace "spambait" with "merlinus" to respond directly to me)

You could try a little timer, its weight would reduce altitude and the complexity would add interest...
Halam
Halam Rose wrote:

Yeah, I could get a Quest Zenith II and build a little g-meter in the payload tube to weigh the thing down. But it's still gonna go too high unless I add a LOT of weight.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

Nope. They (questes) now want you to lose your models.
Back in the day, there were QUARTER A booster motors! I still have some, sealed in the blue tubes.
You could always consider multi-stage saucers :)
They are great fun. I often stage my Pheord X-150 (18mm) with one of the mini-saucers (13mm) from the Triple Threat kit (3 saucers in one)
Even with a C6-0/A10-PT combination, the stack stages at about 40-50 feet and the upper stage only gets to about 120 feet :) Great 2-stage combo for small areas and if you want to really see the staging event.
Here are some pix:
This is a Decaffeinator launching, but on the rack on the right you can see TWO multistage Pheord X150 saucers. One is mine and the other is Bill Ralston's.
http://fliskits.com/photo_album/nerrf/2005/images/p1010051.jpg
This is a launch pix. A bit fuzzy, but you can see the two saucers. I usually have this stacked called out as the "Pheord X150 push starts another saucer..." :)
http://fliskits.com/photo_album/cmass-may05/images/p1011263.jpg
good stuff! jim http://fliskits.com / snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Ask Bunny about staging saucers...
writes:

Can you just tell us ?
I smell a story ;)
AlMax wrote:

PLEASE NO!!!!!! :-)
On 6 Oct 2006 11:51:06 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Has anyone tried multi-staged Tazmanian Devils?
Did you ever get the E9 Taz' sorted out?

I've never seen it tried. CHAD staged might be easier.

Nope. Haven't got back to that one recently either. I did have success with the FSI E5s before they lost certification. And the F7 version did sort of work but got DQed for NVB, but qualified with the old F14.