motors for low-altitude multi-staging

After many years out of model rocketry, I'd like to jump back in with a

2-stage model, probably the Semroc Firefly. I never tried staging before, so this would be a nice variety. (Of course, I'd fly the upper stage alone, first.)

My first couple of looks at on-line dealers didn't show any first-stage motors smaller than B6-0. I'm planning to use a fairly small field, so I'm actually interested in the LOWEST possible flight, with staging just a curiosity. Back in the day, I know you could get A8-0 and 1/2A something-0. For such a small model, I was thinking an A8-0 and 1/2A upper stage (around 5 second delay) would be adequate. Is that crazy? Are these things no longer available?

Reply to
wagen13

1/2A boosters are pretty scarce. I've scavenged only a few packs in nearly 7 years of BAR'dom.

A boosters are still possible, in the form of the mini or T motors -

45mm long by 13mm dia. The A10-0T can be found here:
Using spent motor casings, they can be easily adapted to 18mm diamters and standard 70mm lengths ala your A8-0.

I have a good stash of these I've hoarded over the past few years. They get used in rockets that need 18x70 and 18x45 boosters as well as in genuine mini-motor applications such as clones of the old Estes Mini Brutes.

HTH. Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

They are indeed no longer available. In fact, the Estes B6-0 was recently discontinued and is hard to find. The Estes A10-0, a 13mm motor, was produced up to a few years ago and you might be able to find a few for sale (good luck). It is no longer certified by the NAR.

Quest supposedly makes a B6-0 but I haven't seen it for sale by dealers. Check with Quest directly.

Reply to
Steve Humphrey

wrote

I'm planning to use a fairly small field, so

You could try a little timer, its weight would reduce altitude and the complexity would add interest...

Halam

Reply to
Halam Rose

I sent an e-mail to Quest a few hours ago to ask about the certification status of the B6-0 and B6-2. REASON: new B6-2 packs are now listed on their website for use with the V.E.E.P. educational egglofter. I hope they are importing new B6-2 motors from Germany and have them certified. Past B6-0 and B6-2 motors were all made in the USA in the fat casings with the thick labels.

Conflicting info on status on the NAR website.

Original Centuri FireFly (my second model rocket ever) used shorty motors.

's version is the original and can only be flown with one modern 18mm x

79mm motor. They realized the problem and came out with a bigger version:
That Texas sized version is perfect, but it will still go way too high on small fields.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Nope. They (questes) now want you to lose your models.

Back in the day, there were QUARTER A booster motors! I still have some, sealed in the blue tubes.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Yeah, I could get a Quest Zenith II and build a little g-meter in the payload tube to weigh the thing down. But it's still gonna go too high unless I add a LOT of weight.

Reply to
wagen13

You could always consider multi-stage saucers :)

They are great fun. I often stage my Pheord X-150 (18mm) with one of the mini-saucers (13mm) from the Triple Threat kit (3 saucers in one)

Even with a C6-0/A10-PT combination, the stack stages at about 40-50 feet and the upper stage only gets to about 120 feet :) Great 2-stage combo for small areas and if you want to really see the staging event.

Here are some pix:

This is a Decaffe> After many years out of model rocketry, I'd like to jump back in with a

Reply to
jflis

Ask Bunny about staging saucers...

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Can you just tell us ?

I smell a story ;)

Reply to
AlMax

PLEASE NO!!!!!! :-)

Reply to
Andy Eng

Has anyone tried multi-staged Tazmanian Devils?

Did you ever get the E9 Taz' sorted out?

Reply to
Alan Jones

I've never seen it tried. CHAD staged might be easier.

Nope. Haven't got back to that one recently either. I did have success with the FSI E5s before they lost certification. And the F7 version did sort of work but got DQed for NVB, but qualified with the old F14.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow