Suggestions for a WAY low altitude rocket...

What would be a good way to go to launch on less than an acre or so? I'm thinking maybe mini engine in a rocket with some drag and streamer recovery? Any thoughts?

lab~rat >:-)

Mini Max -- you need something like 10' on a side :)

More seriously (actually more generally -- Mini Maxes have their own charm), there's a table of motor size vs. minimum site dimension at

I'm pretty sure I've also seen a table relating max altitude to launch site dimension as well.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:59:06 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer puked:

That looks like the answer. After spending my rocket adolescence trying to launch as high as I could, now I want to do the opposite. Does that make sense?

lab~rat >:-)

Absolutely. I want to see the whole flight, and then not have to walk too far. I sort of regard every flight like a spot landing competition, with my pickup truck bed as the target!

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

"MicroMaxx" is the correct name for the Quest Micro motors.

"Mini-Max" is a name used by Centuri for their HUGE black powder D, E, and F motors last produced in the early 1970's. Centuri and Estes are the same company and have been for decades, so Estes or Estes-Cox or whatever they are now called as part of Hobbico owns the name.

Reply to
shreadvector

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 06:21:49 -0700 (PDT), shreadvector puked:

at

'm pretty sure I've also seen a table

I assumed he was referring to the scaled down version of Der Red Max...

lab~rat >:-)

at

'm pretty sure I've also seen a table

Thanks -- brain fart while typing. I did indeed mean MicroMaxx.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:57:09 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer puked:

at

'm pretty sure I've also seen a table

Now I see what you're talking about. Those are even better.

And cheap.

lab~rat >:-)

Have you tried large (high drag) minimally built rockets? I flew a few low G-class motors last week and recovered all within 100 feet of the launch pad.

-g.

Reply to
Gnomad

My flying food container rockets are perfect for this. Things like the flying saucers (Snitch, Area 51, Applewhite), Gassaway's Tri-F-O (scales up nicely for D/E motors and beyond), etc are all perfect for low altitude small field flying.

Reply to
Bob

Well, you can sort of get an arbitrarily low flight with a big rocket and high thrust, low total impulse motor.

One of my favorite odd-rocs is a nerf pumpkin, with a mini-motor mount in it which I fly on an A10. Motor is done by the time it clears the rod (so no worries about the fact it's got no stability), total altitude about 20 feet, "nerf" recovery.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

FWIW: If you want to try something higher-power, you could build a rocket that is Pyramid- or Tetrahedron-Shaped.

Several years ago a gentleman from Florida[?] built a rocket pyramid that came to be known as the "Flying Pyramid Of Death". And at least one person has built a tetrahedron-shaped rocket along the same lines.

In the high-power versions, it tends to be impressive because despite all the "thrust & flames" it doesn't go extremely high or fast. What you're looking to do wouldn't need that large a motor, however.

One of the rocketry magazines did an article on someone who built a tetrahedron rocket in an issue from around 2003. I've got a copy of that mag, but I can't find it right now. I'm pretty sure it's *not* SPORT ROCKETRY from the NAR. It might be the TRIPOLI ROCKETRY ASSOC magazine {I don't remember the name of that magazine off the top of my head}.

-Allan, aka "RocKiteman" NE North Carolina, USA

Reply to
RocKiteman

I found two online photo links...

Flying Pyramid Of Death:

Tetrahedron:

-Allan, aka "RocKiteman" NE North Carolina, USA

Reply to
RocKiteman

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 06:43:04 -0400, "RocKiteman" puked:

That first one looks a little scary. Pretty cool.

lab~rat >:-)

In a video of one of the launches of the "Flying Pyramid Of Death", the rocket weathervaned just after it launched.

I don't remember if it's the launch in the photo I linked or another one....