New Comanchee 3

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad315/stratorat79/Estes%20Rockets/?action=view&current=Comanchee3.jpg
I lost all but the first stage of the one I built in college. This
time I'll launch it with more capable spotters than I did last time, like maybe my 7 year old and his friends... -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Reminds me of a scratch-built rocket I made about 10 years ago. It's made from BT50, with BT20 motor mounts. I made it to fly at a "recruiting" launch the local hobby shop sponsored. I made it based on the old (Centuri? Estes?) method of quick-staging. The two 18mm engines, the booster and upper stage are butted together and wrapped with a single layer of masking tape at the joint. The upper stage has a small amount of tape for a friction fit. The joined engines are slid into the upper stage, then the lower stage is slid over the booster engine. For the first launch, I made a lower stage booster by gluing cardboard fins directly onto a D12-0 engine. Friction held it in place inside the next stage. First flight was wonderful! A D12-0 to an old Centuri B14-0 to a "new" Estes C6-7. It has a long mylar streamer or we would never have found it. The staging really has taken its toll on the leading/trailing edges of the fins so I've covered them in a narrow strip of aluminum dust tape (the real stuff!). I need to paint it now, it's earned its colors...

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 08:13:41 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

That's something that hadn't occurred to me. Since I've never recovered a staged rocket before, maybe I'll do something similar in hopes this one stays around for a few years... -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
(should be "duct tape" - aluminum foil tape)

It helps to launch with a group, and assign people to each section. Same way with boost gliders. Everyone wants to see the glider, but someone has to keep an eye on where the boost pod went down. You've motivated me to get a photobucket account and start putting pictures of my rockets up: http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/sooner_boomer/Rockets / pictures I already have. A lot are my own designs or "kit bashes" like the two-stage Fat Boy or the Baby Fat Boy (made from a Baby Bertha kit). Will take more pictures and post them. I've got several gliders I've been working on over the winter.
On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 09:10:03 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Cool, I like the energy shot rocket. We launched a Sky Writer that I built with my daughter over the weekend and nearly lost it. I guess that's what happens when you launch with a C on an acre, but fortunately it landed in a yard a few lots over and one of her friends jumped the fence and got it. -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?