Has anyone tried this?

We launched the Gyroc last Friday in a 5 acre field, and I was afraid I'd lose it because a fin wasn't aligned. It took a nice, swirling path, but a little too close to no man's land. I'll pay more attention to the fins next time, but in any event the field is a little small for what I'm doing.

So I was wondering if I stuck a mini motor in a spent casing of a regular motor (gluing it in, of course) if it would give me a low altitude flight with enough ejection charge to pop the two engine casings out.

Here you can see what I'm talking about, but the engine is just wedged in. If I commit, I'll glue it in closer to flush.

Any comments?

And of course, the next question is how about sticking a regular sized motor in a D casing to slow-launch my upsized Gyroc?

lab~rat >:-)

You are making an adaptor. You can cut the weight down by using rings instead of a whole motor casing.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

I second that. You can build the adapter with positive motor retention too. I dug out my leftover parts box one day and built a series of adapters: several 18/24 in different lengths and a couple of

24/29. I've only recently begun building/flying 14mm stuff. I really can't see flying 18mm rockets, even gliders, on 14mm engines. Just re- design/build in 14mm. One example of this are the boost gliders I've been building of late. I've got BT20 - 18mm engine pods, and BT5 14mm pods. Not a BT20 stuffed with a 14mm engine tube. But that's just me...
Reply to
lektric.dan

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 02:15:16 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" puked:

Well, I found out that a little extra weight less a little power doesn't make for a good combination. I put a keychain camera on my Comet this weekend and used the mini-engine stuck it the bigger one.

Heck, an A8-3 wasn't that much better (but still pretty cool):

lab~rat >:-)

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 17:13:06 -0400, "Tom Biasi" puked:

Maybe I could cut the casing into rings. That's an idea...

lab~rat >:-)

Tends to disintegrate -- dribble some thin superglue onto it first to keep it together while cutting.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Well, I've certainly seen *that* before. DONE that before. The group I launch with gives out good natured ribbing. I remember a tube launched rocket that didn't make it out of the launch tube. And catos that didn't even make it off the rod. At least you got the rocket back to try again. Better than going too far the other way...

Reply to
lektric.dan

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:56:50 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" puked:

Which was what I was afraid of. That little rocket has had more failures and lived to tell the tale. The shock cord finally gave up the ghost. All I need to do is find some new material and she's good to go again.

lab~rat >:-)

How did you attach the fob camera to the rocket? I've got one of those my brother bought for me (from Hong Kong I think). I'd like to attach it to a rocket or two, but I'm afraid of it falling off. It's so tiny I'd never find it, even in a clean, bare parking lot. I think watching a video from a multi-stage rocket would be a hoot.

Reply to
lektric.dan

I strap mine on with a couple of rubber bands. The camera is very light and, while the accelerations are large, the camera will never need more than

100~200 grammes force to keep it with the rocket. I tried mine with some weights from the kitchen scales before I flew it the first time.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

I have a "butane lighter" camera -- I hold it on with painter tape with no problems.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:08:38 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" puked:

Strapped it on with masking tape and it was good to go.

lab~rat >:-)