Estes Gyroc

I found copies of the plans for the Estes Gyroc online. My brother had one of these when we were kids and I'd like to try to clone one.

I think that the Gyroc completely ejects the engine. Is this still considered "reasonable"? I can't think of anything else to do, which means that the engine will be free-falling. How bit a safety issue is this?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
David J. Braunegg

It does eject the engine and this is still considered OK.

A simple change to the design will improve things, though. Since you're considering building a clone (rather than an existing kit), use a slightly larger body tube. Then you can tape a streamer to the engine and still fit it in the rocket. Totally Tubular and Balsa Machining Service sell slightly oversize tubes (and BMS can custom turn a nose cone to fit). You'd want the T-20+ from Totally Tubular or the T20Q from BMS. Or if you can find it, the T20nn from Quest works too.

Steve Humphrey

Dave, our local launches will not allow any part of the rocket to fall without a recovery method. I considered doing a clone of the Gyroc, and dealing with the motor issue by upscaling a bit and putting the motor in an ejectable 'pod' with its own streamer.. just the motor tube, 2 centering rings, and the streamer wrapped around it.

Kevin OClassen

Reply to
Kevin OClassen

Yes, the Gyroc does eject the engine. I don't consider it a safety issue as long as the field is not dry. I've picked up spent casings right after they have landed and there is not that much heat left. Make sure you use a booster engine, otherwise the delay/ejection charge could cause problems on the ground.

mike

Reply to
Mike Kruger

Mike Kruger wrote: > Make sure you use a booster engine, otherwise the delay/ejection > charge could cause problems on the ground.

I disagree about using a booster engine in the Gyroc. It will eject while the rocket is still moving fast, and this may cause the fins and/or flaps to shred.

But do pick a motor with a short delay, so that the motor ejects at (or close to) apogee.

Reply to
Steve Humphrey

Not a bad idea!

I think the pod would have to extend past the end of body tube to lock in the fins. The flaps would never get out of the way quickly enough to clear the (wider) pod if the engine is used to lock in the fins.

I'm wondering if the stream would ever unroll if wrapped around the pod or engine. Probably should just be bunched up?

Dave

Reply to
David J. Braunegg

Don't roll it in a continuous wrap. Fold the streamer into a small bundle that you then wrap around the motor or pod. Fold it enough that the bundle wraps around just once.

Reply to
Steve Humphrey

Reply to
Mike Kruger

WRONG!

A booster will eject way too soon. Use a short delay motor so it can coast to apogee before ejection and deployment like with any other rocket.

Mnay rockets eject their burned out motors, from the Streak to the Mosquito to the old foam RediRocs (Invader, Raider). Ejected small motors are not a safety hazard. They tumble after ejection, and while they are uncomfortably warm, they are not hot enough to be a fire hazard.

I'd question the intentional ejection of anyhting larger than an E9.

Note: while ejecting a casing like this is perfectly legal per the safety code, it is prohibited in NAR competition. There you must attach a streamer or chute to an ejected motor.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

My Maxi Gyroc (BT60) uses an ejectable pod with a streamer. I slightly changed the design, putting the tabs on the pod instead of the flaps. You install the pod, then twist until the tabss lock down the flaps. Works great.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Although it's not politically correct here, I have not heard of any fatalities from getting beaned from a falling empty casing. In fact I think getting bonked by a C6-5 casing would be a good story to tell too up and coming rocketeers. I would however, like to avoid having my jeep getting pile driven by a Loc King Viper III. But it would be pretty entertaining if it was on video. Go have fun and don't worry so much about it. There are risks at the rocket field that are assumed by the participants and whatever happens...happens. And that's the way that I still feel about it and always will.

P.S. My gyroc still discharges its power plant out the old fashioned way. :-) Best wishes and have fun with rockets...

Mike Burch Apache Junction, Arizona

Reply to
Mike Burch

---------------------------------------------------------------- I love my Gyroc - built it recently from a kit available at Balsa Maching service -

. I'm not to worried about the casings - they usually land pretty close to the pad. However a streamer attached to the engine could probably be rigged.

I want to upscale the Gyroc in the near future to 24mm. Those casings could hurt a bit more if they fell on your head.

R.Hill

So you don't permit Mosquitos? Zoomies?

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

See my note in this thread a few days back about my BT-60 Gyroc that flies on 24mm motors. IIRC I made a 29mm pod for it, but never tried it. Can you say F7???

Reply to
Bob Kaplow