Estes Thor-Agena Questions

I am getting ready to clone the classic Estes Thor-Agena B. While looking through the available parts from BMS...I have run into a few question marks. BMS carries the transition(s) and nose cone(s)...but they carry two different sizes. The plans downloaded from JimZ have a BT-52-sized upperstage. BMS has the BT-60 to BT-52 transition, as well as the BT-52-sized nose cone. However, they also have a transition and nose cone sized for the BT-50. Why is this? Were there actually two different Estes Thor-Agenas? One with a BT-52 upper stage, and the other with a BT-50 upper stage?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Hello Greg,

You may want to save yourself ALOT of issues by just buying the clone of this kit located at pimp daddy rocketry:

lunarlos

Thanks...I think I will do that!

By the way, do you have an answer for the BT-50 vs BT-52 situation?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I think it is basically that some people don't need an exact clone, and so will find a BT50 easier to find than a BT52. I bought two sets of both size parts, though not for Thor Agenas, but for SPEVs. I used what Bill sold to me as BT52, though it was really ST-10, for two of them. They all look just fine ("close enuf for guv'mint work"). I don't know what Pimp Daddy is using for the tube.

Roy nar12605

Reply to
Roy Green

The BT-52 was the actual scale part used in the original kit.

Reply to
lunarlos