[F-FT] Initial Estes Oracle comments

I haven't done much more than open the box yet, but here are some initial comments...
The box is huge, mostly air. The camera doesn't appear that vulnerable,
so I don't know why it's in such a big box, unless it's for shelf space (instead of hang-tag space) since it's far more expensive. Contains lower tube assembly with fins and coupler, upper tube, camera/nose cone, parachute, shock cord, USB cable, CD, and instructions.
The rocket is designed to use D12-3 and D12-5 only. Haven't done any simulations to see if it would work with C11's. It would probably work okay with single-use Aerotech E motors, but the plastic fin can is one of those that has the 'screw on' back, so RMS motors won'ts work. Further, they glue the thrust ring in (no engine hook), so you're unable to fit the Estes 'E' engines in place.
The camera itself is very lightweight, and according to the specifications is sized for a BT-60 tube. Based on the other comments I'm making here, I'd definitely put it on another BT-60 rocket (or roll your own), instead of just flying it stock.
The only 'assembly' involves using plastic cement to glue the upper body tube to the plastic coupler, and putting the usual Estes paper shock cord mount in the tube. You must also attache the parachute. The good Using plastic glue on paper tubes/plastic couplers is a sure-fire way to have things fail, as the glue never seems to hold too terribly long for those materials. And what would it have taken to simply put the thrust ring in for an 'E' engine, and then supply a spacer for D-E use? And finally, I would imagine that most folks would want to launch it in the 'camera down' position, so would it really have been that difficult to add the 12" of braided cord to the kit? After all, for the kind of money they're asking for it, these are trivial details.
The camera itself seems fairly well thought out (despite the lack of flash or expandibility), but I'll reserve judgement until actually using it. One of the first things I'll have to do is to find a better BT-60 rocket to fly it on.
David Erbas-White
come fall we hopefully wll have d20-4 from quest, and then the stock rocket might come in handy.
is it possible to use a metal screw eye to replace the plastic eyelet?
you would think for $80 estes could have made it a little bit more "hardy"....
I still say estes ought to hold a movie contest.....
hopefully estes still has enough common business sense(?) to monitor rmr for feedback ...
they sure listened to customer feedback on TRF on the extra clay weight for the SS1....
shockie B)
Using plastic

David Erbas-White wrote:
Additional comment: the CD is placed 'loose' inside of the plastic packaging -- no protective sleeve whatsoever. Mine is very scratched, will have to see if the computer can read it.
David Erbas-White
On Wed, 25 May 2005 15:56:34 -0700, David Erbas-White

That seems to be a trend in packaging *any* product nowadays. The concept of 'Reduce, Reuse, Recycle' has been sacrificed in favour of imposing, 'Gosh-Wow' appearances. :-(
David Erbas-White wrote:
Minor apology in order -- don't know what I was thinking when I first looked at the unit, but the nose cone (front) connection is sturdier than I thought.
On the other hand, so far I can't get it to connect properly on my laptop computer (I get an error that it can't initialize the camera when I try and run the enclosed application). Still working.
David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White wrote:
Ended up having to re-boot and re-install things, now it appears to work correctly. It may or may not be related to the software itself, it appears as though 'Windows Update' was mucking about with my computer as I was trying to install the software (without, of course, telling me it was doing so).
The camera downloaded the video file fairly straightforwardly, and the 30 second video ends up being an 80MB AVI file.
David Erbas-White
got a link to the test video?
of course we will be expecting to see static shots of the wall or floor and maybe the cable it was hooked up to
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

Is there a disclaimer stating "Hard drive not included" ? ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

I always wonder how a camera with an 8MB chip can generate an 80MB file. Something sure gets fat in the process.
I support drug testing. I believe every public official should be given a shot of sodium pentathol and ask "Which laws have you broken this week?".
The software didn't work for me right after I installed it. I rebooted and reinstalled it and it then worked.
My firewall and anti-spyware software both signalled alarms when I installed the software, but I'm sure both were false alarms. It's the first time, however, I've seen both programs pop up warnings at the same time.
-- Roger
David Erbas-White wrote:

Oh cripes,
I had a link to a pen cam that was just released that stored a pretty good length of video. Only problem it was awkward to mount. Have a video downloaded of it flying in a rocket and one of those hand tossed gliders. Pretty long video. I remember is cost $149.00 and was just released at some giant electronics show. Da_n I was going to get one but decided to wait and lost the link. Oh well, still have the cool vids. I think it stored more than the Oracle.
Kurt Savegnago
I think that was Chris Taylor. You can probably find his post in the Google archives.

David Erbas-White wrote:

I wonder where they got the idea for that? ;)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

From Jerry, of course!!! <G>
David Erbas-White

Basically they do this to prevent theft... or at least to make it harder than a thin little bag. Almost like how some big retailers put calling cards in HUGE platic cases