Lost my USB cord for my Estes Oracle. Any one have a spare they would sell me?

If any one out there has an Estes Oracle USB cord they would like to part with I would be willing to buy it. I lost my Estes Oracle USB cord. I tried to get one from Estes by phone and their customer service rep told me that they did not have them separately. He told me to buy another kit for $120 to get another cord. He also suggested to go to Radio Shack and get a USB cord there. I did the Radio Shack thing but it did not work. Here is what I just emailed Estes customer service.

"I lost the USB cord to my Oracle Rocket. I called your company on the phone and was told that you did not have the cord separately. I was told I would have to buy the whole kit for $120 in order to get the cord I needed. Well that is not a good policy. Is there no way you could get a cord to replace the one I lost. I was also told to go to radio shack and buy one there. Well I did that. I spent $20 on the cord and it did not work. What kind of service is that? Please let me know if you have a spare cord I can buy or have to replace my lost one.

PS. My club is having a launch This Friday Feb. 4th and it would be nice to have the cord in hand so I can launch my rocket with them."

Thanks, KT"

Reply to
kimballt

Like it or not, it's not their fault that you lost it. However, the cable is a standard USB mini-B cable, which should be available at just about any computer store (including Radio Shack). You indicate that the cord from Radio Shack 'did not work', but that doesn't tell what the problem was. If it doesn't fit, you bought the wrong one. If it does fit, but 'doesn't work', then you have a bad Oracle.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Very un-estes like...

Or a bad Radio Shaft cable...

I'd try a name brand cable from an electronics store or office supply store, instead of RS.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I admit it was my fault I lost the cable. Never said it was not. I am just amazed that a company like Estes would not have spare parts. The cable I bought from Radio Shack was a Mini B 4 pin. The housing was to big to fit into the female receptical on the rocket. I used my grinder to grind the housing down so It would fit (being carefull not to nick the wire strips or pins). Now it fitts but does not work. I checked at Radioshack, Office Depot, Office Max, Best buy, etc. They all had the same Mini B cables with the housing that was to big to fit into the rocket.

KT

Reply to
kimballt

I'm wondering if it might be a B 5 pin cable. I'd go to Compusa or better yet Microcenter and get a usb cable 'kit'. The kit should include many adapters to allow to fit *almost* anything usb. I got a kit from Microcenter and have yet to not have a proper fit and function.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
tdstr

Have you posted a message on the Oracle YahooGroup?

(I know that the answer to my question is "no")

\ Time to join that group.

Reply to
shreadvector

My guess is that the Oracle product is entirely manufactured and packaged in China or some place similar. Estes probably does not have any parts on hand. Still, a better company would either send you a new complete Oracle package, or open up a package, pull out the cable, and send it to you.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Good news.. My above email worked, sort of. Estes emailed me back and said it was a standard USB cord I could get at any store. Also some of you said the same thing. I went to Comp USA, Fry's Electronics, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Office max, Office Dept etc. None of them had the "Standard" cord that would fit the Oracle. So I emailed Estes again and asked them to tell me the manufacture so I could buy it directly from them because none of the stores carried their standard cord. I just recieved and email reply from Estes that said they had 5 extra cords and they would mail me one out that day for no charge.

KT

Reply to
kimballt

replying to David Erbas-White, Donald Francis Koehler wrote: USB mini cable are 5 pin, it won't work. and the socket is not a standard usb mini format.

Reply to
Donald Francis Koehler

replying to kimballt, Donald Francis Koehler wrote: Sorry you need their proprietary cable.

Reply to
Donald Francis Koehler