Gorton Mill Question (one for sale in my area)

Hello,
There is a Gorton mill for sale in my area. I have been
waiting/looking for a hobby mill for a while and this one is in my price
range. I have to call back on Monday to get more info as the person was
heading out and didn't know the model.
There is a picture (in the paper) and it looks like a 0-16A
(compared to
)
The person I spoke to was 99% sure though that it has the Gorton taper
spindle and there is no Gorton collets with it. It was used at a custom
motorcycle shop with a special fixture designed for the spindle to shave
a few thou from engine heads a few times a month. Supposedly this is
all it has done for 80% of it's life.
The Questions:
- what are the chances of finding Gorton tamper collets? (at a
reasonable price)
- I did find the FAMCO WWW site and they still have a catalog of parts
and collets but I'm sure they will be pricey
- is the Gorton taper well defined somewhere and could an adapter to
another taper be created?
- the mill seems to have the vertical only head. How limiting is it not
having a tilting head?
I did a search of the WWW and newsgroups and good things are said about
the Gorton mills though I am mainly worried about the Gorton taper in
the head.
There is actually a second Gorton mill for sale in the newest Buy & Sell
in the area and describes a 0-16A (no picture), maybe it has collets etc
(havn't called yet)
Comments Welcome, Thanks, Jeff
Reply to
Jeff Williams
Hello Again,
Bad form to repy to your own post ...but....
Any idea how large a workspace would be needed for a mill of this size? Need to think where I will have room for it.
Thanks, Jeff
Jeff Williams wrote:
Reply to
Jeff Williams
Gorton collets for this come up on Ebay fairly regularly. They run about $100 or so for the set.
In fact..here is a set that didnt get any bids. Might want to contact the seller.
Be advised the collets only go to 1/2". They are a special shape and have a three sided shank. It would be hard to make up an adapter.
The table is much smaller than normal mills, though it has a good travel in all three axis. It weighs a lot..oh sweet jesus it weighs a lot.
This is probably the heaviest machine tool Ive ever owned for its footprint. Did I mention I own one?
There are several other owners here, or as lurkers.
Id have to say the footprint, in the typical V shape, is about 40" front to back, and about 40" wide. Fits well in a corner of course and really isnt a space hog. Most didnt have any sort of power feed, but for a table this small, its not a big deal. This would be a great mill for someone who does small stuff, up to about 14" on a side. It makes a marvelous drill press as well.
There are a number of head styles, including a full knuckle head, though the most common type is a fixed head. Ive not yet found a need to move mine, but then, I do own a universal vise that moves in 3 axis.
Its a nice, heavy, rigid mill for smaller work, and is capable of good accuracy if not clapped out. Step pully for 99% of them, they respond well with a VFD on them.
Someone recently posted a Marvelous link to online gorton manuals and maint data for the 1-22 Mastermill (which I also own) and the 0-16A. I cant find it at the moment damit!
Its not as versitile as a bigger mill, but for replacement of your typical mill drill, this Cannot! be beat. Hell of a miller
Gunner
Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
Reply to
Gunner
If one of the other owners doesnt give you the dimensions before I go out and measure mine..Ill post it later today.
Gunner
Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
Reply to
Gunner
FYI,

Peter Grey
I have a Gorton 8 1/2D and had it for about 10 years in HSM service. it is a very fine and capable machine and I have a great respect for it. The spindle taper on mine is a Browne and Sharp number 9. The collet set came with mine. However a few tool companies make tool holders for straight shank tools with the Browne and Sharpe 9 taper so you could still get those and have a useful machine. Mine has a compound tilting head but I never change it from the straight position; I think with tilting tables available you could adapt to an equivalent situation to the tilting head machine. Mine is a 3 phase machine so make sure you are prepared to deal with that if you are not set up for 3 phase. I use a rotary converter. I have used a static converter which is cheaper, but not true 3 phase and I was told there is a risk of damaging the motor so I switched over to the rotary. I am very grateful to have my machine and was the best $2200 I have spent I think. It seems to be beefier than the Bridgeports of similar size. It has power feed on the table and is a very heavy casting. weight is a little over a ton so be prepared to deal with that.
Reply to
desperado