Estes Sweet Vee

Has anyone on this group have experience with the Estes Sweet Vee?

Comments, good or bad?

Keith

Reply to
Keith Richards

Sweet

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yup. It flies quite well. I use a reloadable aerotech casing and just don't put in the ejection charge. It is quite a bit heavier than most modern gliders, but it is fun to fly. I can keep it in the air longer than the Strato Blaster or Astro Blaster. I would like to get hold of an Aerotech Phoenix to round out my fleet, but I have not had any luck yet.

Reply to
Michael D. Davidson

Pegasus Hobbies in Montclair, CA might still have one.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Flown all the Estes RCRG's. The Sweet Vee flies well, being a far superior design aerodynamically to the Astro or Strato Blaster. But it ended up being a bit heavy pig in production - thus on BP D's or E's it is somewhat lame, though CHAD staging makes it more fun. As mentioned below if you put some more moxie behind it with a 24mm RMS you would be more happy. If you can find an AT Phoenix somewhere it is a riot to fly and outperforms these others like night and day.

Mike D

Reply to
M Dennett

Flown all the Estes RCRG's. The Sweet Vee flies well, being a far superior design aerodynamically to the Astro or Strato Blaster. But it ended up being a bit heavy pig in production - thus on BP D's or E's it is somewhat lame, though CHAD staging makes it more fun. As mentioned below if you put some more moxie behind it with a 24mm RMS you would be more happy.

Reply to
GCGassaway

This should be in the FAQ.

Hi George!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'd think you might be better off selectign an airfoil of your choice than picking what came out of Penrose as a default. But it would be interesting to see what they used, unless it's a "this looks good" SWAG.

Bob Kaplow

I missed the begining of this thread, but I do have an unbuilt Sweet Vee. I'd be able to take measurements, drawings, pictures and scans of whatever you all might like. Also have an unbuilt Strato-Blaster. Both are winter projects.

Reply to
Sean Collins

Noted!

Bob Kaplow

I?d rather do that than try to repeat what I did with Ed?s model since it was tedious and very high-risk that I was able to cut the joiner hole aligned properly thru the left and right wing roots of the model I made for Ed LaCroix (I was pretty surprised it didn?t turn out to be a crooked disaster). But to have that custom core cut, I need to know the airfoil (and hope to find the coordinate data to send to them).

Reply to
GCGassaway

If somebody were to trace the root airfoil of the Sweet Vee and scan the trace, I would be glad to compare it to the library I have here and ID it (probably).

Reply to
GCGassaway

Do you take pictures of all this labor intensive stuff you do?

Do I need to mail you a digital camera?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Mike & George,

I made a quick & dirty trace of the foam root:

Sean Collins

Folks,

I have a hit.

It is a near perfect match for an Eppler 205 thinned to 8.5%, with 7" chord. The match is closer than the resolution of the traced template, so I think this is it. Thinning a well-proven sailplane airfoil for a different application is something a designer would do, so I don't doubt this is the thought process behind it, esp. as the E205 was in common use in the 80's into early 90's. The round numbers lend credence to the idea as well.

Therefore, if George or whoever wants, give me the chord measurements required and I can generate foam cutting templates as .dxf or other transferrable file format in just moments.

Mike Dennett CTI

Reply to
M Dennett

rmr can be valuable.