I hate to rain on the parade...

Now that everyone is bouncing off the walls over the Discovery Channel show, a few thoughts:

It might be ultimately be a disservice that the show featured LDRS. This does not represent a "typical" HPR launch. LDRS is the hard-core rocketeers, the fanatics, the true believers. A more typical launch would have a 5000 ft. to 10000 ft. waiver, and when you tally up the flight cards at the end of the day, most flights will be found to be on F, G, & H motors. This is certainly true for the HPR launches I attend in WI. Maybe showing that mid-power is big enough to be interesting, or that even adults can have fun with modrocs would have been better.

How many potential new recruits brought in by the show will remain so enthusiastic when they find out how much an M reload costs, or about the need for an LEUP, and find out about the pending NPRM, the lawsuit with no end in sight, or the totally failed attempt at legislative relief? The in-fighting that goes on? How many will pursue hybrids, because of the greater initial investment? Or, as many seem to forget, unless you can find a reliable non-BP ejection system, the LEUP issue is still there.

I hate to be cynical, but after this all fades away we will end up in exactly in the same place we are at now. Maybe some more involved with mid-power. I have become a realist, I think regulation will be with us permanently, and I am not looking to the sky for some type of divine intervention.

I hope there can be a reasonable discussion of this, rather than a "burn the heretic" witch hunt like happened in another thread when someone suggested there were shortcomings in the range safety practices at LDRS.

I know what Jerry will say - "Are you insane? This is r.m.r."

Reply to
Ed

There certainly were rockets like this flown at LDRS. THe show just featured the big and the wild. After all, those Quarks flown in the mass salvo weren't exactly HPR birds!

The show will spark the interest. After that, they might become questes rocketeers, get into LMR, or take the plunge into HPR. Maybe just L1, maybe L3. It's up to their interests and their wallets. And per Tim, their wives.

As to regulations, the larger we are, the more chance we have of sending the JBGTs running with their tails up their asstrons.

Bob Kaplow

All publicity is good publicity... imho

Reply to
<locprecision

I agree. Let's do a launch and invite the crew to it to watch families flying rockets and WE will remember the usrockets.com t-shirts and banners. Criticize TRA all you want (and I will cheerfully join in) but they did get a contract with a production company that did actually do a show and it actually got aired and it actually produced results mainly thanks to the ads that were later generated and run.

I have a site with a 50k waiver. I have launch host experience. I have movie production experience. I have contacts in the industry. I have unlimited motors.

How about we actually get off our fat asses and do something?

Radical?

Of course!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Bob you post these silly comments all the time. I have yet in two years of diligently checking to find a post you make instructive or helpful on the regulatory front.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I like it when people post anonymously. It means they are so unsure of their opinion that they don't want to take responsibility for it. It also means they have no credibility, so I pretty much can just ignore these kinds of naysayer posts. The poster says he's a ?realist', whatever that means.

Well, I have a real example. My neighbor who has watched me get more involved with rocketry over the last several years finally went out and bought a mid-power rocket, and now wants to get his L1 cert. After watching the DSC show, he has set some goals ? to break mach and survive, to fly a rocket taller than he is (he's 6'4"), and several others. The ?Rocket Challenge' got him thinking about his own challenges. And he knows all about the costs and regs - he's heard be complain all about them.

So, I'm a realist too. It's just that I have a real example of the opposite of what the poster describes, and I have a real name.

Tony Huet NAR L2

Reply to
Tony Huet

Ed wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@noneofyour.biz:

Maybe we can keep it a secret?

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Depends on where you are. At the "typical" HPR launch in my neck of the woods, many of the projects flown are closer to resembling Aurora than they are the smaller birds, especially on EX days. The 35K waiver helps.

Mike Fisher

Reply to
Mfreptiles

What part of "Ed" do you not understand?

As for the email address, the only sure way to get around spambots is to completely spoof it. I found that out the hard way. Also, after getting over 300 emails with the W32.Sobig.F virus last summer, I do not want to go through that again.

If I wanted to be TRULY anonymous, I would have sent it through an anonymous remailer. I did NOT do that, read the header.

Reply to
Ed

They will learn from ME there is no "need" for an LEUP.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Tony, I was going to suggest that someone posting anonymously may simply be wishing to hide that they have an AOL account. But then again, that doesn't make any sense. Anyone with enough technological sophistication to be able to post anonymously would not have an AOL account.

There are many reasons for posting anonymously. I have my reasons. I've posted enough clues as to my identity that several group members now send replies to my real e-mail address.

Are you really Tony Huet? For all we know, you could be Tony, his wife, his 12 year-old son or daughter, someone with a new AOL 9.0 disk and a sense of humor, or that gal who bought the leather bustier on the CITI commercial.

Obviously, I've made some rather snide remarks here about AOL. How does it feel to be criticized, not for your ideas, but instead for something irrelevant? I'm betting you're irritated. AOL isn't really that bad. People with AOL accounts should be treated like everyone else.

I'll admit that I'd try to discourage my daughter from marrying an AOLer, though.

Zooty

It's all about the Pentiums, baby!

Reply to
zoot

Can you get your new Guv'ner to show?

Bob Kaplow

Just watch.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You mean you do not love the attention that gives you? So many people who love you sending you email?

Just Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It's TV Ed. They are going to show the most over the top and extreme projects, that's the way the show is sold. I'm sure that most folks who watched the show and are considering getting in to the hobby already know that you don't have to spend $8,000 to have fun in rocketry.

There were lots of curious on-lookers who just 'came out to watch' our last launch of the season. This was of course because of the TV coverage. It's a good start.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Mr. Ed (that is your name isn't it?):

"better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

You have to get their attention first! This was the best thing that has happened to the hobby in many years. I resent your negativism. What have you done lately to support the hobby? Why don't you go DO SOMETHING instead of wasting your (and our) time posting negative crap.

Michael Smart

Reply to
NikeMikey

Huh? Newbies have no idea at all what is happpening. You would be shocked at the typical questions, starting with, "do they explode"?

Assume nothing.

Teach everything.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The guy was okay; that was a serious topic of discussion all over the range until word came out that he was fine.

The flight was scratched.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

What he said!

-- Bruce Kirchner TRA L2 #5888 Michigan Team 1 High Power Rocketry Proud Gun Owner!

Reply to
Bruce Kirchner

He was STARTLED off the ladder, not BLOWN off the ladder. Stunned for a minute or two but OK.