Help with Estes SnapShot

I am organizing an elementary school rocketry program. I have purchased three Estes SnapShot (RTF) kits to use.

I have experience using midpower Aerotech rockets, but have never used any Estes "camera" kits. I plan to replace the parachutes and shock cords with something stronger.

Does anyone have any experience with this kit? Will the C6-5's work, or will the C6-7 work better?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Daniel Cervantes

Reply to
Daniel Cervantes

It is very new and I don't have experience with *this* version, but I've flown the older Astrocam many times.

If you add weight, be *VERY* careful.

Changing the parachute to a heavier material will add weight. Your rocket will

*not* go as high, or as fast and it will descend faster if it is heavier. The C6-5 may be just about right, IF you use a longer launch rod to guarantee a straight boost. A 1/8" dia x 4' long steel rod will allow the model to build up more airspeed before it leaves the rod. This helps it continue going straight where you pointed it (which should be "up"). Add a water jug or two to the launch pad legs to give stability to the pad and avoid tipping or "dancing".

And, of course, depending on where you are launching, be sure to obtain the necessary permits (if any) to launch.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Defiantly replace the shock cord and parachute.

I fly mines stock the first time just to see how it would hold up and the shock cord broke first time.

The model is a little heavy and a C6-7 might be coming down too fast to use.

A nice replacement vehicle for the snap shot is the Estes Eliminator Rocket Kit - 1950 Replace the shock cord and parachute in that kit too and you have a nice work horse vehicle for your snapshot.

Fly it on C11, D12 or E9's

Use the old AstroCam trick of making sure you place a piece of electrical tape over the film holder door to keep it from popping off on hard landings.

Reply to
Bruce Canino

"I'm replacing this shock cord, and there's nothing Estes can do to stop me!"

- Rick "Definitely defiant" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

Assuming you want photographs of very terrified-looking moles, the C6-7 will work just fine. (Once).

Reply to
Vince

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!!"

Reply to
Bruce Canino

At best the C6-5 will get horizon shots. More likely sky.

The best results I ever got with my Astrocam were with the AT D13-10 reload. The extra altitude made for a nice shot.

Bob Kaplow

My friend has an astrocam, and got some good horizon shots with C6-5's, though the shock cord broke and the camera was briefly lost.

The shock cord has now been replaced with the usual kevlar leader, and IIRC he's flown it on a mix of -5's and -7s. I'm sure I remember someone at UKRA04 flying theirs on -3's as well!

Virtually any Estes kit with exposed elastic shock cord will benefit from a kevlar leader. I find than an M6 nut tied to the end of the kevlar makes it very easy to switch the elastic before it gets too crispy.

-- Niall Oswald ========= UKRA 1345 L0 EARS 1151 MARS

"Gravity assisted pieces of the rocket raining from the sky should be avoided. It is also financially undesirable."

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Hi, Niall,

You'll have to clariy "M6" for us dumb Americans. Is there an equivalent imperial term?

FWIW, I was using welded steel rings, washers and even small key rings to join the elastic to the kevlar, but now I just put the elastic thru a loop in the kevlar and leave out the ring altogether (in the smaller rockets).

A couple wraps of masking tape around the fold in the loop of the elastic seems to help keep the kevlar from sawing thru the elastic. And it also shields the elastic from the ejection charge.

Of late, I've dropped the elastic and switched to non-stretch ribbon from the fabric shop. I'm getting fewer snapback dings that way.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Nearest inch size would be something like 1/4-20... "M6" is a 6mm diameter thread.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I used to tie it, but found that putting something there makes things a bit easier. For larger model a keyring works just as well.

Yeah, as dave W said M6 means 6mm diameter, so about 1/4". Just a convenient size for tying the cords to. In larger modrocs I find that the combination of a small nomex square with wadding below does a good job of protecting the parachute and elastic. Also a long kevlar leader (say 12" out of the body tube) helps since you can get the elastic all held in the nomex and well clear of the BT before it gets a chance to get toasted!

-- Niall Oswald ========= UKRA 1345 L0 EARS 1151 MARS

"Gravity assisted pieces of the rocket raining from the sky should be avoided. It is also financially undesirable."

-Portland State Aerospace Society

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Fred Shecter

It is *NOT* an Astrocam.

It *IS* a Snapshot.

They are slightly different and the Snapshot is allegedly designed to use the C6-5. (Bigger fins? More drag? More weight?)

We need to hear from someone who has flown the *Snapshot*.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Fred is right, it not the old what Estes used to call the Delta II or later unnamed booster with the Astrocam Starter set.

The Snapshot launch vehicle looks a like it the same fins and body tube as a Code Red or Ionizer so the fins are bigger and heavier. I have flown it on C6-5, but really won't try it with a C6-7. Actually I wouldn't use it at all any more since the Estes Eliminator ( or clone ) makes a much better launch vehicle, Flies on C11, D12, & E9's

From the ads of the Snapshot to soon be released as a stand alone kit, ( no launcher ) looks like it uses the older Delta II stile launch vehicle

snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com

Bruce Canino

Slight off this topic, while at RAMTEC-11 I stop by the local Wally World and they had a big pallet of cases of Estes SnapShots and Max Trax. The cases had the typical Estes picture of a nice family launch a rocket. The pallets were right near the checkout stands, selling them like any other impulse item you would see in any check out lane. I wonder how many of these Wally World actually end up selling. I assume the other Wally worlds will have the same setup. Guess we should be seeing a lot of them at the next club launch

Reply to
Bruce Canino

Our Walmart had a pallet of Snapshots and something else in the big aisle on the way to sporting goods a couple of weeks ago. Would be nice if that brought in some interest.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Would M6 be 6mm, or about 1/4 inch for the metrically challenged?

I terminate my kevlar leaders with a bowline that is about one body diameter below the end of the body tube. Then I do similarly with the elastic, thread the other end of the elastic through the kevlar loop, then through the elastic loop, and pull until the two loops wrap around each other like a square knot. If the elastic wears out, you can untie it with a hemostat, or just cut the elastic loop and replace it.

Another tip. A drop of yellow glue on the knots keeps them from untying. Do NOT use CA or epoxy: they degrade the material, and make it brittle.

Bob Kaplow

I noticed the stack of rockets at Wally World also. no doubt to grab some of that business that would otherwise go to the fireworks vendors for the 4th of July'

Great, except this is sunny California, and tou can't fly them without everyone else in the state's permission, and the blessing of the pope.

I guess, on the other hand, you can always plead ignorant.... "but officer, I bought it at Wal-Mart, and Sam Walton would never sell me something that was illegal, would he????..."

Saying this as you clean out the 29/240 case you just did the H220 in.

Reply to
Alan Tuskes

Thanks for all your input. I intend to update the shock cord, parachute and will tape the film door shut as recommended.

We plan to launch on July 15, 2004. You can follow our activities at

Daniel Cervantes

Reply to
Daniel Cervantes

Speaking of which, any word on when the new Estes digital camera rocket will be on the shelves of stores everywhere.

Bob Kaplow