IS BRS Making a big profit on LDRS???

After reading all their postings on different forums I'm beginning to wonder just how much profit Buffalo Rocket Society, Inc. is making off of us this year.

Do they really have an "Inc." after their name?

They should open their books after all this and show us why they were required to charge what they did. Some of the guys running this have gotten almost feminine in their responses to those who question their motives.

John Mc Comb Reno, Nevada

Reply to
RoCkeT FlyA

"Almost feminine"? What's that supposed to mean: "If you can't guess then I'm not going to tell you..."?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Alot of it is funneled to the TRA slush fund.

You can be sure BRS is trying their best to be fair in light of "mandates" from on high.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I hope they are making some money on LDRS. For the amount of work local clubs put into an event the magnitude of an LDRS, they deserve to come out of the event with nice equipment and some cash in their coffers for their members to enjoy. Hosting an LDRS is neither fun or profitable, no matter how it looks through your half-empty glass. BTW, neither of the last two hosts are cash rich after hosting LDRS.

I notice you didn't have the stones to post this until everyone from BRS is busy busting their humps on the range after the event has already started. Furthermore, it is none of your business how much they make. Did you go? If so, you were content to pay their fees, but instead of going to the range to fly, you sit in your room and post negative comments about them. If not (the more likely scenario), they don't have any of your money anyway so why do you care?

I would speculate that the next LDRS after Canada in '05 will be in the West. My suggestion to you is that you volunteer to be in charge of the event. I also suggest that you price everything so that you break even. How do you do that? Well, of course you break out your crystal ball and see how many people will come and create a balance sheet with a big fat -0- at the bottom of the net income column. When it is all over, come back here and tell us all how rewarding an experience it was for you to do this big favor for the rocket community and host a 'break-even' LDRS. When some dumb bastard calls into question your motives, you can then be the one to tell them "f--- off."

Let me express my appreciation for doing this for all of us in advance. I will stop by at LDRS 25 and kiss you on the mouth.

--Lance.

Reply to
LanceL

Like I said it's almost feminine.

Reply to
RoCkeT FlyA

So let me get this right.

The reason a club will host a LDRS is to "come out of the event with nice equipment and some cash in their coffers for their members to enjoy". Wow now I understand.

No one should go in to debt to run a major event and maybe even make a few bucks. But to have a stated goal of making money really says a lot!

No one is forcing any group to put on an event. But I guess some see it as a money making opportunity. I guess to days of giving back to the community are no longer!!

Reply to
wiaterd

So move to a communist country where they don't allow this stuff, eh?

Not only is it acceptable for a club to be profit motivated, it's fine for a private, for-profit entity to provide rocket flying opportunites, too. As hard as it is to find places to fly, many of us are willing to pay to have someone else take care of setup, tear-down, waivers and equipment.

What's wrong with providing a service for which people are willing to pay? And making a nickel off it?

I'm not debating LDRS's prices, but I'll certainly stand up for the host's right to cover their costs and get a return on their effort. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Mr. FlyA,

nice troll... you got LanceL goin' good-

What's your secret?

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce OBrien

Reply to
wiaterd

Prove it. Define "slush fund", prove TRA has one, and prove that "most" of the LDRS money is going into this alleged slush fund.

If you can't prove any of this, then sit down and shut up.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Well put, Lance.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Not quite, though the last one was pretty close to being forced on the hosts. It's getting harder and harder to find anyone willing to host LDRS anymore, largely because of all the bitching the hosts have to put up with.

So, are you signed up to host in 2005?

Reply to
RayDunakin

Reply to
wiaterd

Isn't the fee to Tripoli to host LDRS like $2000? TRA isn't exactly getting rich off this.

I deon't believe TRA has some huge slush fund unless they are doing creative accouting. Last year, about 75% of all dues went to pay for insurance. The legal battle soadked up the rest of the money.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

The entire revenue for LDRS before expenses isn't even a number with lots of zeros.

If they got 250 flyers at average of $50 each, that is only $12,500 in revenue. I didn't include the $20 insurance charge as is a Tripoli charge.

Why shouldn't LDRS flyers have to pay for the equipment? Your local rental store doesn't rent rocket launch equipment.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Which is why I've repeatedly suggested that clubs stop bowing to TRA Kontrol. Instead of BRS or the folks in Kansas, Texas, Kalifornia, Canada, or wherever host LDRS, thye instead host something that looks just like LDRS but without the name at the same time and place. No insurance surcharge. No absurd vendor fees. Same flying, same range, same folks, same vendors, no tithing to Orem. The cost of the "LDRS" label is just not worth it.

All they have to do is 30 days before the launch go back to TRA and say "NO", we're still gonna hold an HPR launch at the site at the same place and time, but we won't pay for the LDRS name, so instead it's gonna be called FREEDOM or SYBKML or NYPOWER or something else. And we're going to refund all the excess fees back to the participants.

Make it so!

Bob Kaplow

Open the financial records of the past few LDRSes and TRA so we can all see what is going on. Secrecy breeds conspiracies.

Bob Kaplow

That's still $5000 back to TRA Kontrol to pay for insurance that you've supposedly already paid for. Simply for the privelege of calling the launch LDRS instead of NYPOWER or ROC or Artichoke-4 or whatever.

Then there is the minor issue that in most states you can't sell insurance without an insurance license. TRA has no such license. And they're charging some folks for insurance they don't need or don't get. If I've got homeowners, renters, or other isnurance, I don't need TRA insurance. If I'm an NAR or CAR member at LDRS, I'm paying for insurance coverage I don't even get.

Bob Kaplow

Bob K. wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin