Re: Sodbury Sort-Outs cancelled!

"Charles Hamilton" wrote

When I signed up it was a well regarded smaller ISP (in fact I chose it on the recommendation of someone from this very group) but I think it has been bought and sold several times since then. As for The Hoff - well what can you say?

I'd be switching right now if I weren't so loath to tinker with something which works ok 'most' of the time!

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

"campingstoveman" wrote

Nick, > > I have had that letter and I personally think that reasons given is a > ruse, cost of hire of site maybe nearer truth. > > Martin P

As I said; "some old toffee". Still gutted though - sad I know, but these events are some of the highlights of my year!

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Highlights of many of our years, Nick!

I had to do with the Showman's Show at the Newbury Showground for several years running & the fees just went up and up until it really wasn't worth it anymore & we stopped going. The last year was definitely sparsely attended, a self=fulfilling prophesy, I suspect.

Shame he just didn't say so - indicates a certain disingenuous character.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Kim Siddorn" wrote

I can't imagine the Old Sod goes short - despite rising fuel prices and all the other excuses, the vintage sales continue to be hugely well attended and I'm told the Land Rover events are even bigger. If these don't pay their way, I fear the whole concept of large bring and buys is doomed - we'll be back to trolling miles around the countryside to numerous small 'club' sales in the hope of finding what we want (and of course all those things we didn't know we wanted!).

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

I suspect it is more to do with the admin and insurances.

I've never made it to Newbury, and the last one we went to at Sodbury was back in the days before we had the Movano van, so probably 1996-7. That was a bit of a mud-bath and things had to change as the site entrance was very restricted and the Police didn't like it.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

"Peter A Forbes" wrote (snip):-

The combined efforts of the insurance industry and H&S will eventually ensure that we can't do anything except sit in a cotton wool lined box waiting to die.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Nick,

Its only a matter of time before industry standards hit the Hobbyist, some leading motor manufacturer who's sole aim is to sell cars has suggested to HMG that all vehicle that do less than 35 mpg should be taken off the road, the fact that he makes little boxes that do over 40 mpg has nothing to do with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
campingstoveman

Surely they should all be taken off the road lest we should damage ourselves or others while using them.

Perhaps we could all be plugged into virtual reality machines to provide the illusion that we are sentient beings with some kind of meaningful existence while waiting for the time to shuffle off this mortal coil. The all important economic activity could be maintained as we made virtual purchases and paid to attend virtual events with the money from our virtual jobs.

Nick H (descending)

Reply to
Nick H

What a gloomy lot you are this evening! I'm cheerful as I've spent a most interesting evening with my son & his pregnant partner, full of chat and technical stuff, family, one of Hazel's excellent casseroles, wine & good humour. So I'm pretty upbeat ATM ;o))

I understand the Old Sod is actively seeking a different venue & a well placed, well drained field would do, surely? I arrange outdoor events & filmwork all the time & it really isn't rocket science. It should have two gates and not be directly off the main road. A slight slope is good, car park at the bottom between the gates, stalls etc further up the slope - go up empty handed, easy roll down to the car. Some Portaloos & food outlets and Robert is your mother's brother.

Which more or less describes Newbury ..............

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Nick

You've been watching the Matrix again haven't you :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

Kim,

Its the lack of sun light that does it and when it pops up like today it has an adverse effect to the system, my theory of course.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

c> Nick

c> You've been watching the Matrix again haven't you :-))

c> Martin P

Never seen it I'm afraid - is that the basic premise then?

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

c> Kim,

c> Its the lack of sun light that does it and when it pops up like today c> it has an adverse effect to the system, my theory of course.

c> Martin P

Perhaps I do need to spend more time in front of the SAD lamp!

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Basically yes if I read the films correctly.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Unfortunately you're right on the insurance bit. Insurance companies are in business to make a profit, not as charities. They work by accepting risk. The greater they see that risk, the more they charge. The development of the litigious culture this country has imported from the US means they are seeing ever greater numbers of claims. That puts their costs up so premiums are increased. This makes small and marginal events unworkable so they get cancelled. Don't put ALL the blame on the insurance companies, look further up the tree and place most with the public. The shame of it is that most people see an accident as a potential source of easy money with no victim. They don't see the damage that all their claims do to society. Unfortunately the current H&S base of risk assessments is moving beyond pure H&S and into our private lives. People (and organisations) who used to organise events for the enjoyment of the event and the attendees are looking at the risk to themselves of being sued should something happen. They then carry out their own risk assessment and decide it ain't worth it. As a result, many smaller events die, school trips don't happen and councils close play areas.

H&S is the subject of many cases of misplaced blame and a hugely over used title. Most people know very little about H&S but think they do. They then make decisions based on ignorance in an attempt to remove risk rather than control it. I've seen many H&S professionals reminding people that the main point of something is to carry out the activity, not to stop it or make it unworkable. However not everyone works like that. A lot of people see stopping an activity as the first option. This maybe what they actually want to achieve. When someone wants to stop something happening, they ask if it's safe and latch onto any slight risk as unacceptable. Equally many decisions are taken and then the H&S tag is applied to give the result greater weight. Ask what the H&S reasons for a decision are and you get a load of misinformed nonsense. Unfortunately such misuse of H&S tends to perpetuate more bad examples based on the original poor decision.

All of this is even beginning to annoy the slumbering HSE. Their website now has a myth busters section. It makes amusing reading:

Rant over.

John

Reply to
John

Excellent stuff ;-)

Thanks for the link, thoroughly enjoyable.

Do the HSE have an approved extermination tool for greedy lawyers growing fat on spurious claims ? ;-)

Gyppo

Reply to
J D Craggs

"John" wrote (snip):-

The USA however still seems able to stage rallies with less apparent concern for public safety (eg double roping etc) than over here. I'm told that this is because that country embraces the principle of 'informed consent'. So it looks like we've imported only one half of a workable system.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

There are virtually NO ropes at Portland, you can walk amongst the running engines at will.

We'll be going to Buckley, Michigan, this year as well, and I suspect that it will be the same.

Remember also the Medina, Case Traction Engine explosion, that changed a LOT of legislation in the state(s).

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

The thought of no ropes is frightening. My sons are now four and seven and have the curiosity of that age. I really don't even want to think of them near an old engine while it's running. I've managed to teach them to stay on the public side of the ropes. I'm certainly glad they're there.

I'd heard of the case mentioned but never read up on it. This seems to tell it accurately and also relates to our engines.

John

Reply to
John