Internal Fire via Sodbury Sort out loaded

Gentlemen,

I write this on behalf of myself and Dan Howden, who was the friend Kim :-)). Dan and I left mine nice and early to travel to Internal Fire for a Crank Up on the Sunday but we had to go via the Sodbury Sortout didn't we. I had a Lister G1 to collect that I had already bought plus a hydraulic lift, bit like a mini forklift, Dan thought that 300lb lift was not much but changed his mind when we used it to load the G1 into the trailer. Dan found his usual bargains including a nice little pump and some jacks etc. Saw several people on our way round, hope the drains are fixed Philip, your dry wit was missed Sunday. We did a second tour of the sale and then headed west. Getting into Wales now is not cheap especially when you are pulling a Trailer, I think Dan and I are now shareholders at £9.60 for the Van and Trailer. I can only assume that we must have sat on a Weigh Bridge to get that figure as I was fully loaded at the time with my L the G1 Dan's Pegson two very large water tanks and books for Roland and Paul Evans plus the Lifter and sundries that Dan had bought. Made the museum by seven in the evening having stopped for fish and chips and then after a little play with a large open crank Powell that Dan and I got going we both crashed out in Paul Static Caravan, thanks Paul a lot more comfortable than my van, at ten just as Roland started a Lister CS which I must say rocked me to sleep. Sunday started and stayed a nice day if a little chilly and Dan and I met a load of very mad but friendly Welshmen who brought their engines along. Garry Milward and his brother Steve brought the Lister N with them and a good time was had by all. The best bit of course was seeing what Paul and the others had achieved since my last visit at Easter and to see what else had been collected. The Sulzer runs as sweet as a nut and Roland's Petter sounds really nice driving a compressor up to 700 psi to start it. Opposite the Sulzer is now stood a straight eight Allen with Generator and when running sounds like London RT Bus on idle. Dan and I left at five and after a break and a queue on the M4 because of a accident got back to mine at eleven thirty, Dan then had a short, relatively speaking hop of forty five minutes to his house. Thank you Paul & Hazel for the welcome and the use of the Caravan and I love the Oily Rag, see you at Easter :-)) Pictures in the usual place later on today.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I was a bit miffed to say the least at not being able to attend. After digging a bloody great hole I've discovered that out main drain was built using that cheap'n'nasty pitch fibre pipe, which after 40 or so years has partially collapsed, and is not in a very good condition at all. Negotiations with the house insurers commence shortly!

It was nice to see so many NG reulars at the Sortout. Last saw Kim with a huge barrow load of of assorted ironware topped off with a pile of fire hoses.... For myself I just picked up a few odds and ends, nothing too big or expensive. I have a Petter habit to feed you know :-)

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

A very good day, and nice to see many of the gang. There was one small (well quite large really) cockroach in the toothpaste for me. While on big Tangye duty, she had the bad grace to smear her front main bearing, without any advance warning. I shut her down as soon as I realised the bearing was hot, but alas not soon enough, and said bearing had suffered a bit. This big ignorant lump of white metal will need scraping, no small job when the crankshaft is 7" diameter, IIRC. All being well, it is being attended to as I write. Paul took it fairly well I felt, and I'm sure the third degree burns from a starting blowlamp will heal with time or plastic surgery ;-).

The display of visiting engines was of very good standard. I'm not sure whether I preferred Gary's Lister N or the Blackstone springer, they were both quite mesmerising to watch. Dan's daft Pegson was rammer was a wonderfully silly device, and I can see why Dan enjoys mucking about with them.

I was very pleased to see the Sulzer is now running it's own compressor for the air-blast injection and running so sweetly. It was quite a change to see Paul starting it with ease, from needing a team of people on different controls to start it at Easter. The newly installed 1940s straight eight Allen genset was quite a sight and looked to me like it should have a huge steel hull around it. It did sound rather like a bus engine when running at tickover as Martin remarked, quite apt as it's almost the size of one!

Nice to see a CS Start-o-Matic on display (so beautifully quiet with exhaust and intake piped outside) and I look forward to seeing the little Lister Junior genset running the power for the wireless room. That big Mercury Arc rectum frier (sorry rectifier) should look tremendous when it's wired to the Tangye generator, throwing it's blue light out. Roland's Petter 8S worked hard driving the compressor ro bring the air bottle for the Sulzer to 700psi. In a way it sums up what is so special about Internal Fire. Many of these beautiful engines are working hard as in their real life, not geriatrically plodding along at tickover as most do on a rallyfield.

Many thanks are due to Paul, Hazel, Keith, Roland and all the other workers for all their hard work and dedication and providing such an attraction.

See you there next time!

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Sounds like a good time was had by all, I *will* get there one day!

"Arthur G" wrote (snip):-

Could be good money to made there selling sun tan treatments to the local lasses ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

A most enjoyable meeting of friends old and new. Sorting the Tangye's main was well under way when I left and showed every sign of a satisfactory outcome. As an aside one swiftly tires of heaving the (B heavy) main bearing halves in and out but I can reach my steering wheel with greater ease!! I'm now going to rest/sleep for a few days.... Needless to say suitable screening material will be set in the front of the MAR before it is powered!

Would the very kind soul who donated the stack of Allen literature to IF please contact the museum.

regards

Reply to
Roland Craven

Roland,

The Allen literature was donated to IF by my very good friend Hugh Stannard who used to work for them until closure. He does not look here very often but if you want it I can email you off NG his phone numbers.

Mart> A most enjoyable meeting of friends old and new. Sorting the Tangye's

Reply to
Campingstoveman
.

Arthur,

I actually saw that cauldron running on Sunday morning didn't you.

See my pictures in the next hour.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

For the sake of any HSE rep lurking: it was NOT running but Martin got a good pic that makes it look like it was. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

"Roland Craven" wrote (snip):-

How dare you spoil my vision of scantily clad Welsh lasses rotating slowly, bathed in the blue glow from said MAR!

Reply to
Nick H

I apologise Roland, I should have put up a smiley face :-))

Mart> For the sake of any HSE rep lurking: it was NOT running but Martin

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Hoping for a gotcha, Martin?? :-)

I had heard on the grapevine that you had a fake photo of it.

You'll have to get up early in the morning to catch me napping (well, before

10am anyway). ;-)

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

And it was well before Ten, I was checking the hot water in the IF Toilet at

6:45 am, so one to me I think :-))

Mart> Hoping for a gotcha, Martin?? :-)

Reply to
Campingstoveman

is that what's is known as Welsh rarebit?? ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

"Roland Craven" wrote

Depends how long one leaves them there ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

Looks like you had a good time allround, only wish IF was a little closer to me (Carlisle). Will have to make a concerted effort to get to one of the working days.

(well quite large really) cockroach in the

smear her front main bearing, without any advance

alas not soon enough, and said bearing had

no small job when the crankshaft is 7"

took it fairly well I felt, and I'm sure the

whether I preferred Gary's Lister N or the

daft Pegson was rammer was a wonderfully silly

for the air-blast injection and running so

needing a team of people on different controls

genset was quite a sight and looked to me like it

engine when running at tickover as Martin

exhaust and intake piped outside) and I look

the wireless room. That big Mercury Arc rectum

Tangye generator, throwing it's blue light out.

bottle for the Sulzer to 700psi. In a way it

engines are working hard as in their real life,

workers for all their hard work and dedication and

Reply to
martin hirst

Martin, If I can drag a trailer on a 570 mile round trip then Carlisle might not seem so far :-))

Mart> Looks like you had a good time allround, only wish IF was a little

Reply to
Campingstoveman

The MAR is quite safe to look at, it won't fry your retinas! The pressure of mercury vapour in the bulb is very low, and consequently the amount of UV light given off will be miniscule. UV production only becomes an issue as the mercury vapour pressure increases. The only reason screening will be needed is to keep people away from the arcy sparky bits! For many years ther was an MAR on display in the Birmingham Science museum, coupled up to an very old electric motor, they do look very eerie when running.

Have a look at:

also:
Anoraks on chaps!!

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

You and me both Martin. Not that I'd be allowed to tinker with an engine even if I had the money to spend on one. Though I guess a Startomatic could be hung on the "it would be nice to have a backup power supply dear" and being autoamtic and electric start she could cope with it as well in an emergency... Hum, still no cash though. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You don't have to have lots of money to own and restore Stationary Engines, all you need is to trust your abilities, be in the right place at the right time and don't set your sights to high. I started with a Lister D, of which I still have several, and slowly built on the collection from there. I would love a large open crank but all I have to do is remember that I am married and have a mortgage and settle for what I've got which I must say I'm am pleased with.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I did wood work at school not metal work... Mind you I'm not averse to taking *anything* apart and putting it back together.

As this group frowns on plugging things that are on ebay I refrained from mentioning the two Lister Startomatics that ended just after 1900 this evening. One, 3kVA, ended at =A3391 the other a 3 cylinder jobbie, =

presumably nearer 10kVA, at =A3645.99... The only other one recently sold was bought at =A3550 by BIN, mind that was restored and on a trailer for showing.

I guess with a 2.8kVA Briggs engined manual site type generator costing =A3350 new =A3391 isn't a bad price especially with the automation, electric start and running on diesel...

Having an engine "just for fun" would not be allowed. If it preformed a useful and reliable service that would be another matter.

That is the key. Hum I wonder if any of the farms around here have an old startomatic lurking in the back of barn covered in muck and dust...

Unfortunately to fit the "useful and reliable" criteria sights have to be a little higher than "utter junk".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice